3.5 supercharging

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

alastair_vns

3.5 supercharging

Post by alastair_vns »

Hi has any1 fitted eaton m45 to their rv8. I am interested in fitting them to my 3.5 carb engine would like to know if there was much increase in power. Also has any 1 ran m45 with carbs? thanks

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Not done it but I am pretty sure the m45 doesn't have the right seals for it to run in suck through mode, you could set it up to run blow through with a carb but it it would be difficult to get the right carbs these days (metro turbo sus would do it but not sure what size they were), a 4 barrel you would have to put in a sealed box, dooable but a right bodge.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

alastair_vns

Post by alastair_vns »

What do you think would be the cheapest and easiest way to do this? Thanks

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi, the M45 is the BMW mini one? it is far too small, you might get enough flow with 2 but still it will be operating out of it's best efficiency range, you want something off a similar sized engine, the one off the 3.2 or 4 litre jag is a better starting point. As for cheepest easiest set up, use a rover injection inlet manifold and controle it with a megasquirt ECU or extra EFI from Phill plumb it through an intercooler via a standard throttle body.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

If you had space then it could be quite a neat set up with twin M45's breathing through an SU each on a standard manifold, not the most efficient or potential set up by far- but should still give a massive increase. Just not much tuning potential. As Mike says they are too small by a long shot, 2 would just about be ok, if you want a single then you need an M112 ideally, or if wet then it'll have to be a big buck sprintex twin screw, or an old skool blower.
TC

alastair_vns

Post by alastair_vns »

Hi Ideally I want to keep carb setup, I have been looking on eba y but cannot seem to find much any other good sites?Thanks again

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

If you want to keep your twin carbs then get a couple of M45's, (a pair of M90's may be too big for a 3.5) I'm sure you can modify SU's to use under pressure, where are you based?
TC

alastair_vns

Post by alastair_vns »

Hi what kind of modifications would need done to the sus? I am in glasgow. Thanks

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
for blow through you need to seal up the throttle shafts or put them in a sealed air box enclosing the carb (probably the best way) suck through you will have to sort out the seals on the charger.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Or get some SU's from a Maestro or Montego Turbo as they were blow through.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Forced Induction”