Designing a Range Rover Twin Turbo

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

RangieMatt

Designing a Range Rover Twin Turbo

Post by RangieMatt »

Hi,

Title is explanatory enough :lol:

Me and my mate Russell both have 1991 Range Rover 3.9 Vogue's. His is an automatic, mine is Manual. To cut a long story short, we're wanting to do a twin turbo project on a shoestring, just for the hell of doing it. It's not for power, and we won't be doing any internal engine work, so I'm intending to run light boost. The object of the exercise is simply to see how cheaply we can do it, DIY style. I'll start with some vehicle specs.

Russells:

3.9 EFi, rebuilt less than 4000 miles ago, Fast Road Cam, 4 branch manifolds, 2.5" bore duplex exhaust system, no balance pipe. His is an automatic gearbox, which was rebuilt about 8000 miles ago with an uprated 4.6 clutch and should be good for up to 260bhp, and I can't see us pushing that.

Mine:

Dead standard, but fairly low mileage 3.9 EFi, standard, 5 speed manual box.

We're looking at various options for turbos, basically we want 2 pairs of fairly small turbos with integral wastegates, I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any?

Manifolds we can make ourselves, same with intercooler piping etc. The main question I've got is ECU related. Does anyone know how flexible the stock ECU is, I'm kinda guessing we'll have to switch it out as it won't handle the boost? Anyone know much about this?

Matt

1991 Range Rover Vogue 3.9 EFI

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Megasquirt is the easiest way to do it, assuming you dont want to rely on a third party (read mark adams) to map your existing ecu.
Also factor in the cost of a LC1 wideband lambda.

For turbos' a pair of turbos from a 2L engine should work ok - ford or scooby. Avoid diesel turbos, as the turbine (hot side) tends to be very small and would restrict top end.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
first question, whar CR are you both running, from what I remember there are about as many compression ratios for this rangy as there were markets......
next, I think you can bodge the efi to work with some boost by putting a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator (and some fish tank plumbing) in the fuel feed and possably bigger injectors, horrid but cheep (until it runs your engine lean on full power and boost! I think you can also use a hack (bodgit box) into the water temp sensor feed to give a bit more enrichment with boost again not nice but you may get it to work.
personally I would go aftermarket ecu, vems, megasquirt or emerald and do that bit properly and sell the existing ecu's to recover the cash.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

RangieMatt

Post by RangieMatt »

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

The CR of both engines is 9.13:1

I think an aftermarket ECU is going to be the way to go, just a bit of a pain, I reckon it'll be the single biggest expense :(

Nevermind, I may be trying to do it as cheap as possible, but I also want it to work, it hasnt got to be crap :lol:

What am I going to pay for a Megasquirt then, I can't find a price for basic kit, and assembled ones are up to £280.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

megasquirt.org for kits, but you need international money orders and the banks hit you for those (about £25)
or go to the extraefi.co.uk for a uk suplier, £280 for the kit ain't bad when you look at what you get!
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Phil Ringwood (extraefi) and Bill Shurvinton are both on this board and sell everything you need.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Richard and dnb are also both on this board and are involved with vems ecu's
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

there's a janspeed tiwn turbo kit on ebay at the moment. Exactly the same as mine but no where near the same condition. It was already at 500 squids when i looked! Almost tempted to sell mine lol . . . not! :twisted:

dnb
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dnb »

I have this pair of plenums - would be ideal for twin turbo-ing: :)

Trouble is that it'll probably be a budget breaker! Metal fabrication isn't cheap.

For turbos on a 3.9 I'd suggest a couple of TD04s from a 1997 to 1999 UK spec Impreza turbo. They'll be about the right size for low boost and people are throwing them away in preference of the TD05 etc for their Scoobs.

I have a couple of TVR exhaust manifolds. They are a pair of short 4-into-1 systems, so they can be easily cut and welded for connecting to the turbos. I thought about twin turbos on the Griff once upon a time, but thought that the boss wouldn't approve...

As for ECUs: VEMS / MS etc - all will work nicely, and are quite easy to set up - there's plenty of help out there.

RangieMatt

Post by RangieMatt »

That is a NICE plenum.

I'm currently boffining up on Injection Systems and MegaSquirt etc. If I'm going to rip Lucas out, I figure it'll be helpful if I know what I'm doing.

8-)

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

dnb wrote:I have this pair of plenums - would be ideal for twin turbo-ing: :)

Trouble is that it'll probably be a budget breaker! Metal fabrication isn't cheap.

For turbos on a 3.9 I'd suggest a couple of TD04s from a 1997 to 1999 UK spec Impreza turbo. They'll be about the right size for low boost and people are throwing them away in preference of the TD05 etc for their Scoobs.

I have a couple of TVR exhaust manifolds. They are a pair of short 4-into-1 systems, so they can be easily cut and welded for connecting to the turbos. I thought about twin turbos on the Griff once upon a time, but thought that the boss wouldn't approve...

As for ECUs: VEMS / MS etc - all will work nicely, and are quite easy to set up - there's plenty of help out there.
Is that silicon hose I see? If it is what have you done to stop it completely collapsing under vac?

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

That plenum top does look very nice, but quite a bit of work just for show though? Can't see there being much of a performance benefit, but bling it certainly is!

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

I would have thought the cheapest exhaust manifolds would be a set of P6? or P5 rear exit cast manifolds, swop them side to side so they exit forwards and machine up some adaptors to suit the turbos
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

RangieMatt wrote:That is a NICE plenum.

I'm currently boffining up on Injection Systems and MegaSquirt etc. If I'm going to rip Lucas out, I figure it'll be helpful if I know what I'm doing.

8-)
Any reason you can't use carbs, and do away with all the EFI black magic? 8-)

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Got a set of 2" SU carbs, turbo mounts, piping and ported SU manifold if ya want it, from a Janspeed set up. I'm not using them as fitting EFI now, sometimes wish i hadnt bothered!

Return to “Forced Induction”