Boost/vacuum leak

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Boost/vacuum leak

Post by mcmental »

Well I've just fired up the twin turbo up and it's ticking over nicely,I was just watching the boost gauge and I noticed it was at -5 on Rickover but built up as I revved it, is this normal or have I got some leak somewhere???

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

There are 2 types of boost gauges.

The first type reads manifold vacuum as well as manifold pressure as the boost builds up. This type is normally connected to the inlet manifold and usually won't show any boost until the car is on the road with the engine under load. At tick over it will show vacuum.(manifold depression) like a normal vacuum gauge and when the engine is stopped it shows zero.

The second type just measures boost pressure and is usually connected to the inlet system at a point where no vacuum ever exists.

Regards Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Mine shows vacuum at idle. And will only show a touch of boost if I rev it hard and quickly. But when under load the bosst registers quick quickly.

As Denis says. Its normal to see vac at idle if you are reading from the inlet manifold.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

Aha,thanks for that.

Return to “Forced Induction”