Rear mount turbo discussion

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Yeah I've seen that SR20DET conversion before, a very good job as well.

There are some old pics (old engine on carbs) in my garage section on here. Currently mid-rebuild so I can't really take any pics as the engine isn't in yet! There may be some in the body section from when I resprayed the engine bay - check it out.

As for the conversion, the inner wings were chopped out a fair bit, mainly to accomodate the large carb bowls, but also to clear the cast iron manifolds. Also helps with heat dissipation. The downpipes are custom made and go down infront of the footwells.

I've binned the oil cooler, favouring a Laminova heat exchanger instead, and I'm mounting the cosworth intercooler where the oil cooler was. Just got the piping to sort out, which should be fun!

RobertE

Post by RobertE »

Wow, small world.. I actually have all the pictures of your mg saved on my home computer... I found it one day when I was looking and thought it was a gorgeous GT :wink:

What pistons / compression / boost are you planning on running?

**Sorry im going a bit off topic :P

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Standard 9.34:1 pistons, running low 8:1 compression: The chambers have been modded and I'm running composite gaskets. Its only a low boost set up - 5-6psi at the moment so nothing completely mental - yet!

I'm worried about my new liners slipping - so will prob not use silly boost until I get my other block top-hat linered and maybe even try to stretch to forged pistons - but that's years away!

jefferybond
Getting There
Getting There

Post by jefferybond »

bill shurvinton wrote:From a thermodynamics perspective they suck. Turbos need heat to operate (as much of the shaft power comes from heat as mass flow). Most of that heat gets lost on the way to the back.
Yes, exactly right. Most of the energy in the exhaust is heat, and this is what the turbo runs off.

This is one of the reasons jet engines and gas turbines actually work, since you get pretty much the same mass flow in the front as you do out the back, but the gas is heated as it goes through the combustor. Without the added heat they don't produce power.

Jeff

Return to “Forced Induction”