Next project - Ideas and setup

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Next project - Ideas and setup

Post by DaviesDJ »

Hi guys, having now finished my last project, I am now planning my next - Im hoping to build a hill climb / Drag racing reliant scimitar, Light, big engine bay - and I like the look of it. Want to go for a rover turbo setup but cant think of where to start - don't have a million to spend - but want to be competitive and dont want to cut too many corners. So - Starting with a cross bolted top hat linered bock - how would you do it? What compression ration and how would you acheive it?? Cut down pistons ?? Old style heads ??? Was thinking a 4.6 might be a good compromise between cost availability and power - twin turbo set up - want north of 5-600 BHP - how can i achieve this?? I understand somebody on the forum has a 5.0 turbo - whats the output on this??

Spent so much on trial and error!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Which scim are you using, 5 or 6? Personally if you want that kind of horsepower I wouldn't be using a Rover engine because that's a hard and expensive way to get to that level. You would be cheaper and easier to go the Chevy LS route. I am also not so sure how well a scim chassis will cope with that sort of power either as they aren't the stiffest and the options to stiffen them up aren't that numerous. Drag racing you will get away with but hill climb not so much.

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

Hi there, it's an se5 1976. But will be a long term project as the
Wife wants me to take a break;-) will start it next year. I know you right and the LS is high on my list, and in reality I may bend towards it. But I have acces to low cost rover bits, I know the engine etc, and I do love the dear old rover:-) just want to explore the realistic turbo limits of the RV8 before bending to an LS. Thinking of a 4.6 with old style heads ported (larger combustion chambers etc with 2 T3s perhaps??? What has been achieved I wonder??? Drag racing is my primary aim, as I live very near Santa pod.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
there is a 5.3 LS motor on Ebay at the moment, from the UK, for £1500 a runner. No matter how cheep your supply of rover bits is you are not going to be able to build a 250 real world bhp rover for £1500, and have a simple change of cam and a remap will get you 320 real bhp so It seems to me a bit of a no brainer.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

If you want 400bhp+ don't even think of using a Rover, you won't get change from 10K and it will break, often. Rovers are a money pit, and fragile fragile fragile!!

Stevieturbo on here had a full stage 3/4 4.6 Rover V8 running twin turbos and it had 500bhp max. You want more than that you need Wildcat, and remortgage your house.

Go out and buy a stock Chevy LS1 for a few grand and bolt on two turbos, job done. Or a Lexus V8, they're supposed to be good for 5-600bhp boosted on standard internals.

Or if you have space, spend £3.5-5k on a Dodge Viper V10 and T56 and twin turbo that :twisted:
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
The new dodge hemi engine is meant to take a centrifugal blower and 12lb boost on bog stock internals, heads and cam and chuck out near 650bhp off 5.7 litres, meant to be very compact engine aswell.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Have you measure up the engine bay of your SE5 and realized how much of the bulkhead your going to have to cut out? Anything with 4 valves per pot simply wont fit so the Lexus is out. The old iron Fords and SBC are too long (they hit the steering rack but only just) could be done with some creative cutting and engineering though. Kinda leaves an LS that will fit in there nice once the bulkhead is cut out. Not sure about fitting 2 turbos either as its a narrow engine bay and you cant come out much past the chassis rails because the wheels turn into that space. You could fit them with some fancy pipework I am sure but they are going to be mighty close to a lot of GRP so some very good insulation is going to be needed.

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

Thanks guys, only paid 300 quid for it, think the LS will be the way to go, I can see your points, wildcat heads are dear,

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

What would you say was the best reasonably priced car for a turbo v8 conversion then, if you specifically had that in mind?? My landy 5.0 has enough room but thats no good for drag racing??

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

buy a mid-90s Camero or soemthing like that. 5.7 chevy good for turbo of nitrous, or both. You can pick them up for a little over a grand (rough) to £3-6k etc.

Or similarly a Lexus Soarer which has the lovely 4 litre V8 in.

Depends what you want to do with it really, pure drag, street etc.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

kiwicar wrote:Hi
there is a 5.3 LS motor on Ebay at the moment, from the UK, for £1500 a runner. No matter how cheep your supply of rover bits is you are not going to be able to build a 250 real world bhp rover for £1500, and have a simple change of cam and a remap will get you 320 real bhp so It seems to me a bit of a no brainer.
Best regards
Mike
I saw that Mike, £1500 does not seem bad for an engine that's already been set up for custom use. 250bhp in those is it? Not bad at all really considering other V8 prices, and the L33 are all aluminium so 50kg or so lighter than the iron block version. I saw a 6.0 iron block engine on there as well, what are they like?

What gearbox would bolt up to the L33 relatively easily, apart from a T56 (because theu are pricey!)?

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
The 6.0l engine is a lightweight iron block about 50lb heavier than the ally engine, they are what youwant for serious power, there are many standard 6.0l bottom ends in engines producing over 800 bhp, forged pistons good rods and and standard crank and you are in 1800 bhp botton end teritory. If you can get the l96 heads with the 6.0l engine then you have heads to match. They make great drag race engines. If you want a bonoville engine then you use a 4.8l crank in this block and a BIG turbo and off you go. . .
As for drag car, chevy Nova is a good basis, 12 bolt rear end, relativly light weight for an american car, huge engine bay (will take a big block without modification) look very cool. Chevelle, as above but even cooler, but maybe a bit heavier, rover P5, Mark 2 jag, TVRs but a bit short, if you want cheep and ready to go the XKR is pretty good.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Forced Induction”