Noisey Fuel Pumps. (Help!!!)

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Noisey Fuel Pumps. (Help!!!)

Post by tetlow »

I have been having problems with Facet fuel pumps, ( lasting 2 weeks, noisey etc) and taking advice have just fitted a new Red Holley.
This Holley seems to pull more fuel through the filter and seems better when adjusting the fuel regulator (set to 5 psi), but it is as noisey as hell. It whines loudly. Is this normal?
If so I will refit the Facet and flog the Holley on EBay.
Regards.
Dave

1973 MGBGT
1975 MGB V8

I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it turns out it was a train comming!!

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

the holley should be quiet as a mouse, mine is are you sure its running the right way

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tetlow »

I am reasonably sure I have fitted it correctly. :D
The IN has the supply from the tank via a Plastic filter and the OUT to the pressure regulator. The red wire to + and black to Earth.
It seems to start quietly but about after 1 sec gets very buzzy.
I have used 1/4 fittings with 3/8 to 1/4 reducers. I have removed the Fuel cap to check if the tank is pressurised but no change.
When you say quiet as a mouse do you mean you can hardly hear it even without the motor running. ( I know a few very noisey mice :oops: )

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tetlow »

Also I have sited the pump below the level of the tank so it is pushing not pulling, which is I believe the recommended way :?:

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

mine just sounds like a mobile phone vibrating, thats when im close to it , if im in the car i cant hear it

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

My Holley pump is also very quiet so I'd assume something was up.

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tetlow »

Thanks Gents.
Mine is very loud so I will see if RealSteel will replace it.
Regards
Dave

Sondar

Post by Sondar »

Got to say that mine's quite noisy, although you can't hear it over the engine. Can't hear much else either...
Sondar

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tetlow »

Just spoken to Real Steel and the chap there said thay are very noisey! "like a machine Gun" :evil:
The Holley is working much better than the Red Top Facet I had but, If I can't get it quieter it will be dumped onto Ebay. :D
I wonder if the noise is due to where I have mounted it and the pump is struggling to pull fuel from the tank, even though it is below tank level the fuel pipe goes quite high before it drops down to the pump.
I will try to mount it on the two Facet Rubber mounts and cover it in insulation.
Dave

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tetlow »

Fitted pump on rubber mounts and encased in sound insulated box. Still too loud.
Pump now on E-Bay :oops:
Dave

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

ive got a red top and when i was using it - it was like a mobile phone vibrating, perhapps a little louder - but that was about all.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tetlow »

I would guess the noise could be proportional to the load on the pump caused by the tank position, fittings etc.
I have fitted the pump in the required position but maybe I have a restriction somewhere!
The Facet Red Top does not fill the supply filter as much as the mallory did but it gives me 6 psi at the carb and is pretty quiet after the system has pressurised. I will stick with the Facet.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Tank Pump Filter Carb should work

Tank Filter Pump Carb could cause cavitation as pumps far prefer to push than suck

On the 40 - long thin tanks in the side sills under braking and the fuel sloshed forward leaving the tank outlet dry and the pump (Facit Red) pumps air - this increases it's volume about tenfold - but a good advance notice that more fuel is required.

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”