Valve spring query

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

sean

Valve spring query

Post by sean »

I am finally getting round to rebuilding my 3.9. It will have stage 2 heads, and I am looking at a typhoon cam. So off to buy some heavy duty valve springs and nobody seems to sell them now. I don't fancy the idea of machining for doubles, so as I am not likely to rev it to bits, would my existing standard valve springs suffice. And while I'm asking, is it worth ARP studs or just stretch bolts for the rebuild? Thanks

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Sean,

Real Steel or V8 Tuner should have the single one coil less springs suitable for the Real Steel typhoon cam.

I would use ARP studs for the mains and normal NON stretch bolts for the heads, if you head bolts are non stretch you could re-use them.

For the heads who are you buying from? Check whether they machine the faces for the use of composite gaskets which a useful upgrade.

With standard valve gear set a sensible rev limit of say 5750 RPM.

Kevin.

sean

Post by sean »

Real Steel and V8 tuner dont do the single valve springs anymore, I have already asked. Hence the query. The bottom end alreadyhas ARP's. I did that a while back. The head was done by a mate, who has a flow bench so knows exactly how it performs against other heads as he has had various others of supposed high flow to test against. Interesting!! The gaskets were tin as they came off and as I have slotted piston heads I thought keeping with them will probably maintain the CR.
So my old non stretch head bolts should be ok, with the 4 outer being tightened down less, yes?

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

So my old non stretch head bolts should be ok, with the 4 outer being tightened down less, yes?

If in good condition. yes.

What valve springs do RS now recommend for the typhoon cam?
Kevin.

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

What valve springs do RS now recommend for the typhoon cam?
I needed a set of these singles last spring but they were no longer available. I never got a reply to my next question: any alternatives ?

sean

Post by sean »

They just seemed to vaguely suggest doubles and that was it.

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

I think Piper and Kent both do valve springs -1 coil for the RV8.

Regards,
Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

sean

Post by sean »

Ah, right thanks I will pursue that line of enquiry. I was a little disappointed that Real Steel were unable to offer much by way of suggestions. I had planned on opting for the Typhoon cam as per their pdf which states these HD single springs and yet they don't supply. Perhaps there is an equivalent Crane, Kent or some such cam ( the Typhoon appeared a good bet) that forum members could suggest and from whose suppliers I may also be able to get the springs? They may also then get continued business for the remainder of my engine rebuild parts: timing gears, Rhoads lifters etc etc.

jrv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by jrv8 »

Sean,
I have a set of the original Real Steel heavy duty valve springs here. They're brand new, unopened and are the ones with one coil less than standard.
PM me if you're interested.

Regards
Jim

cammmy
Getting There
Getting There

Post by cammmy »

Reviving an old thread but:

"So my old non stretch head bolts should be ok, with the 4 outer being tightened down less, yes?"

I believe you need to measure each one when new and then compare them when you go to re-use them. If stretched more than a certain amount (not sure of exact figure) then you should replace them.

I will probably go with ARP studs on all the important bits just for peice of mind.

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

Use ARP for heads and mains, they will outlast the engine through as many rebuilds as it survives, and then outlast the next several engines as well.

Alan

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”