Exhaust sealant cack found!

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Exhaust sealant cack found!

Post by chodjinn »

Hmm, had a slow saturday so decide I'd clean + repaint my exhaust manifolds while I wait for the rest of the bits to turn up so I can actually fit the engine in.

Anyway, got one manifold off and was seriously surprised to find some hardened sealant type stuff used instead of the gaskets that I expected. bit of a pain to clean off, but that's not the bit that worries me. Some of the ports were seriously clogged - one had lost almost 30% due to excess sealant when the manifolds were fitted.

I actually managed to get hold of the engine builder (long story to those who know so won't go into it) - who said it was proper exhaust sealant after me ranting "what's this bathroom shite you've used here then?!?"

. . . more annoyingly he confessed that the block I have is not the one I paid for - so NO top hat liners!!!!! The bad news never ends!

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

So has anyone gone round to violate Mr L yet?
V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

LOL gav! I've got an old worn out P6 camshaft lying around the shop somewhere that'd be pefect for the job :lol:

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

not as far as I know, and it won't happen (well, not from me anyway). Given his personal situation I'm trying to work with him rather than go through the courts or turn up with six mates and cricket bats - that doesn't work to well and generally makes things worse.

I now have the number of the company that was fitting the tophat liners, as they have my old engine mounts apparently (meh, having just spent £50 on some new ones :x ) which are still on the block.

well, if I can get hold of that short block then I'll at least have something to show for what I spent.

As for the exhaust manifolds + heads, I'm gonna have some fun doing some DIY port-matching when I get some gaskets. The heads are already supposed to be stage 3, but I doubt it . . .

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

Post some pics so we can have a look at them.

Ref the cricket bats hy not settle things with like you said THAN go asy hi!

Hairbear, i was thinking maybe a crank instead. . . . .

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

lol yeah a crank would be my choice as well actually. Closely followed by my spare flywheel!

As for the heads, they've supposedly got a good spec (wasted larger valves, ported, double springs etc.) but I'll have to take 'em apart to see that - we'll see!

badger
Getting There
Getting There

Post by badger »

Hmmmm.... Mr L still refuses to answer his phone when I call him. Sorry to hear you're still having issues Chodjinn, but I'm now at the stage where I'd break a camshaft and look for something considerably heftier, like a crank with torque convertor still attached, maybe even the whole bloomin' gearbox!!
I'd love to work with him but he's not giving me the option, presumably as he knows how far away I am! :evil:
Badger.
"Real sport has 8 spark plugs"
www.roverv8engines.co.uk

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

what does he owe you, parts or money?

I could do some digging and see what happens. It was blind luck I got his new mobby, and even blinder luck he answered . . .

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

On a slightly related side note my 4.6 crank i got from ebay had a tie on tag with "LUNDENGINES" written on it. It had been reground for him by someone by someone else i believe before the chap who i got it off got it.

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

LOL! good luck! probably .120 under!!!!!!!! (and bent) :D

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

Oi! Stop yanking my crank! :P

badger
Getting There
Getting There

Post by badger »

Hi Chodjinn, he owes me money - for repair work to an incorrectly re-linered block, part of a complete engine he supplied. Oh, and loss of earnings as a result of it being immobilised in the workshop preventing me from taking in any other paying work for a week!
Now, to be honest and fair, the rest of the build was good (as I found out when I had to strip it for remedial machining) with the exception of the bathroom sealant in the rear main caps instead of the correct cruciform seals! He'd also shown excellent communications up until roughly 2 weeks after the engine failed last August/September time. "Send me the invoice" he said, and since then no contact!
Same happened to a mate in North of England - exact same failure of a recent engine. Same thing happened, invoice sent by owner (after I'd built it properly for him!) and no response!
He has stuck his head "above the parapet" since then on the "off-roader's rantpage forum", but only briefly and has since gone to ground again.
I was unaware he'd changed his mobile number - I'd be extremely grateful for it if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me?
Badger.
www.roverv8engines.co.uk

landybob_v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by landybob_v8 »

curse of the blue rocker covers!
v8's everywhere at least the one in the spare bedrooms gone now

mrs happy again

badger
Getting There
Getting There

Post by badger »

Ah, but neither my engine or my mate's had the dreaded blue covers I'm afraid!
maybe if they'd been blue the engines might have been ok..... :roll: :lol:
Badger.
www.roverv8engines.co.uk

landybob_v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by landybob_v8 »

dunno my mate has the dreaded blue covers and so far he hasnt had to do anything to it
v8's everywhere at least the one in the spare bedrooms gone now

mrs happy again

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”