Bit of a dilemma with my inlet/plenum choice

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Bit of a dilemma with my inlet/plenum choice

Post by chodjinn »

I've just got hold of a complete ACT twin throttle plenum/inlet, and also have a complete hotwire system.

I had the ACT stuff sat on the engine this weekend, but unfortunately when I hold the "Y" carbon piece up to mount to the throttles, it wont fit due to the nearside turbo. If I put it flush to the face where it is supposed to mount, its about an inch or so too high; if I hold it out so it clears the turbo, there's about a 2" gap between the mounting holes (which would need a big custom spacer) - and I cant do that because it interfers severely with the wing! Does that make sense?

Now, i dont want to sell it, but if I can't make it fit it's essentially useless. I could turn the whole inlet round 180 degrees, but then I'd have yards of tubing all over the engine bay. Alternatively I could get some little aluminium adapter made to mount silicon hoses to and get it sorted that way.

The other solution is to add in a spacer under the carbon plenum - effectively raising the plenum height. This would obviosuly cause severe clearence issues with the bonnet, but seeing as I'm already going to have to cut it another inch doesn't seem too bad - that seems the 'easiest' option, as I can then use the carbon "Y" piece etc. And since I'm running turbos the plenum size wont really matter that much. Thoughts?

Anyone got any other ideas? (will sot some pics out asap)

14500rpm

Post by 14500rpm »

I would just turn it around, that TVR Power supercharger conversion seems to do this without a problem:

Failing that I'll give you £10 for it :D

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Then I'd still have the same problem with the nearside turbo, and have about five feet of extra pipe in the engine bay.

I spoke to ACT again yesterday and we've come up with a relatively simple solution. Just gonna bin the carbon intake part and get a custom adapter made with two short section of alu tubing and attach silicon hoses to it.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”