Fitting hotter plugs Q?

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mikeinatruck
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Fitting hotter plugs Q?

Post by mikeinatruck »

My old beast of a Landy has now got a late set of HIF44 carbs fitted to a later type inlet manifold, i.e. it does not have a manifold to water pump coolant outlet. Now I have been tinkering with the jets and it seems to run about right, or as best as I can get with out a rolling road. But when it gets hot it seems to be pinking but not like you would expect.

Going up a hill will not do it, but med throttle loads mean you can hear it just (over the noise!)

It is fitted with BPR5ES NGK plugs I am thinking of going to a number 4 hotter plug. Do you think 1 step is enough or would it still run okay with 3's?
I run on Shell V power only with lead additive, the plugs always appear very clean when I check them.

Anyone any experience with hotter plug set ups?

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Can you reason why you would even think about fitting hotter plugs ?

This would only make any pinking etc worse !!!!

But with a properly running engine, 5's should be fine. You could try 6's, but I see no real reason that you should need them. Sounds more like fuelling and ignition need sorted first.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

i agree with stevie on this one,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I third, fitting hotter or colder plugs is to stop fouling or melting. Going colder could possibly stop pinking but odds on you have a problem elsewhere.

mikeinatruck
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mikeinatruck »

I wish it was that easy!the timing is spot on so is the fueling set up and carb balance. I have even gone as far as using a depth micrometer to ensure the jet height is correct and check for comparative dashpot lift accross the rev range!

I do have one last theory to check and it involves changing the exhaust, so i'll see how that goes.

I have managed to contact a friend who used to build Caterhams and he has suggested I could try going to a colder plug and see what changes. So I guess we'll see next outing.

Thanks for you advice.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

So what timing are you running when this pinking etc occurs ? And what sort of AFR's are you seeing ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

mikeinatruck
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mikeinatruck »

Its not pinking under load, it just seems to be there at a light throttle. I have tried timing at numerous different settings and with a vacuumless dizzy setup. i am starting to think its not timing related now.

I am busy with work at the moment so the old girl is off the road for a while anyway be a few months before she gets another leg stretch.

I am actually thinking of changing the heads for some with valve inserts in as well. Anyone suggest a good company? I actually have two heads ready to send for pressure testing and machining.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Is it defo pinking ?

what fuel ? what CR ? What AFR's ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Any engine machine shop will do, but make sure they have experience of Rover heads as they can be a bit of a nuisance to change valve guides.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”