Huffaker Manifold

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Huffaker Manifold

Post by mgbloke »

Just taken delivery of a Huffaker inlet manifold that I won on E-bay for a real bargain.
Im really pleased because not only does it look stunning but it actually fits under the bonnet, just. ( existing bulge ).
Planning to fit it to my 4.6L MGB
Ive read that I can expect some loss in low down torque and maybe gain some at the top end.

There is a small pipe at the top of the water pump which connected to the old thermostat housing. Can I route this directly to the heater matrix?

Thanks

Mark

v8 jago
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8 jago »

You wont have a heater using the huffaker, You might loose some power low down but it wont be noticable and they are for high powered high reving engines. Who was the seller that you got it off, As my mate has just sold one on e-bay !
Was Rover v8 10.7@122mph, 0-60-3.01sec
Now Blown BigBlock Chevy 9.9@134 upto now on low boost.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

yes just take it straight to the heater.

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

I bought it from a bloke called Kenney in Scarborough. Was expecting to pay in excess of £250 but got it for £116.

Thanks Katanaman.

Wonder if it will make any difference to the fuelling (Edelbrock 600).

It needs about 30 thou off of each face to make it fit my heads properly and I need to re tap for my temp sender.

cheers

Mark

v8 jago
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8 jago »

mgbloke wrote:I bought it from a bloke called Kenney in Scarborough. Was expecting to pay in excess of £250 but got it for £116.

Thanks Katanaman.

Wonder if it will make any difference to the fuelling (Edelbrock 600).

It needs about 30 thou off of each face to make it fit my heads properly and I need to re tap for my temp sender.

cheers

Mark
I saw that one. It is not my mate who sold that one, He got £180ish for his. I wouldnt pay anymore that £210 for one as you can but the wildcat one which is the same, |From wildcat engineering for £240-£250 brand new.. But yes you managed to get a bargain.. Nice one

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

The manifold is manufactured with a seperate flange for the carb mounting. Included with the manifold were 2 loveley billet machined flanges one about 15mm thick and one 30mm thick.
Is there any advantage to increasing the chamber under the carburettor.
At the moment only the thin flange will fit under the bonnet but im thinking about making a new bulge to accomodate a 3inch element so I could allow enough room for both flanges if there is any advantage.

Thanks

Mark

v8 jago
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8 jago »

Its called a high rise manifold and you gain more power out of it. If you start making it shorter then it wont be as affective. Looks like you might be making a bonnet buldge then :)

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

Well after a few alterations the Huffaker is on and I must say Im pleasantly surprised.
Havent noticed any loss of torque and the car definateley feel zippier.
Very very happy.
Need a rolling road session to see what is hapenning to the power/torque curves.
The wideband is showing slightly leaner for some reason in the midrange than the performer but seems better for it.

Mark

john 215
Getting There
Getting There

Post by john 215 »

Hi,
Great news mate,i have a DJE copy of this manifold sitting on top of my 4.6 going into my TR7 V8 and was wondering what would happen to the bottom end power/torque. Also if it fits under the bonnet of a MGB i should be ok as well :D
Cheers John.
LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME.

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

John

What spec is your 4.6?
I had an existing bulge in the bonnet and the huffaker only just fits.

Mark

john 215
Getting There
Getting There

Post by john 215 »

Hi Mark,
Should find out tomorrow as fitting it then :? brief spec is 4litre pistons,typhoon cam, real steal stage 3 heads,mallory dizzy,1 and 1/2 (poss larger have'nt measured them for years and memory not what is was! ) 4 branch's,webber 500 but have a holley 600 for more fun if needed ect.
On the TR7 using spacers between body and frame,common mod on these to clear SU carbs,original TR8 had Strombergs or Fuel injection.I know the MGB V8 ran SU facing the bulk head for the same reason.My FHC ran a 3.5 with a Offy and 390 and had reasonable clearance.
What spec is your 4.6 mate?
Cheers John.
LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME.

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

John
Mine is almost identical to yours except piper 285 cam (needs changeing).
I also am using 4.0L pistons and have 10.8:1 com ratio.
Ive gat a track day at Cadwell park on Wednesday 29th so really looking foward to that. Also the 200mile drive there will be fun.
Are you into trackdays? I quite fancy a go at sprinting/hill climbing.

Cheers

Mark

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”