Landrover 3.5 V8 Fuel Starvation ?

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Raggylad

Landrover 3.5 V8 Fuel Starvation ?

Post by Raggylad »

Having a seriously weird fuel (?) problem on my '83 110 V8.

She starts & runs fine on LPG, but - when started on petrol started with difficulty, ran roughly for about 30 seconds then cut out - repeatedly. Pumping the accelerator prolonged this to about 45 seconds. That was yesterday - today she won't start at all on petrol.

Possibly relevant facts/related symptoms ?

- LPG is a simple single point induction system, injecting into the air intakes of the (Stromberg) carbs. Petrol system is standard as to pump & filter.
- Petrol in tanks is only 2 weeks old.
- New fuel filter fitted about 2 weeks ago, but had been running fine.
- Fuel pump makes the right fast then slower ticking noises on startup.
- Had been experiencing petrol vapourisation problems when running on the hot side in heavy traffic.
- Had just fitted braided fuel hose from filter - fuel solenoid (part of LPG system) - carbs, to try to alleviate vaporisation problem.
- Serious backfire when starting from (very) cold on LPG had blown front silencer box 4 weeks ago, so there is a new box (a pipe run to Y pipe) fitted. This sounds a bit rough on start up on LPG since the start of the petrol problem - with an intermittent burble/rattle from the area of the silencer box until the engine is warmed up.

What I have done so far:

- Reinstated the original fuel pipe; checked all fuel connections for petrol/air tightness.
- Checked the top half of the carbs. Cleaned pistons & needles & checked diaphragms (OK).
- Run the system in the emergency, petrol-only, override mode - no joy.
- Disconnected the LPG solenoid to see if it was the LPG ECU playing up - no joy.

Thoughts and/or advice urgently needed. Not a crisis - can still run on LPG - but we're meant to be going on holiday, towing the boat to an LPG-starved area (West Pembrokeshire) from next Monday !

Sorry for the rather long post - but if I had any hair left, I would be tearing it out !

Thanks.

Raggylad

1983 Landrover 110 V8 - LPG Converted

x.l.r.8

Post by x.l.r.8 »

First off, disconnect the fuel line and put a bottle on the end, turn on the fuel pump and see whats coming out at the carb end. If you get a good flow then look to the carbs, think about a vacum takeoff that may have been dislodges after the backfireing, you could easily have blown off a vacum line. Also try replacing the fuel filter again, it may have gotten a load of poop and blocked quickly.
Adie
[/i]
Yes it's a Porsche and yes, it should sound like that!

Coastcard

Post by Coastcard »

As per ^^^ and check floats. Have replied in more detail to your post on LR4x4.

The Original Tom
Getting There
Getting There

Post by The Original Tom »

Mine did that when I first got it as the hoses were too close to the manifold and vapour locked. Have you just tried fitting braided hose or have you moved the hoses too?
I had to re-route mine and sling them up over the air intake sides of each carb to aid cooling them - no problems since.
Rover 3.5 V8 landy - Completely rebuilt and purring... Now awaiting a good tune!!

Raggylad

Post by Raggylad »

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give them a try.
Raggylad

Raggylad

Post by Raggylad »

Problem identified (but not yet solved - waiting for parts); blocked fuel tap on the petrol solenoid of the LPG system.
Raggylad

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”