Re-jetting a webber 500 carb

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

badger
Getting There
Getting There

Re-jetting a webber 500 carb

Post by badger »

Guys, I'm hoping someone on here can help me with this one as I'm struggling for time - not enough hours in a day to spend a day or so mucking about!

Just swapping a 3.5 for a 3.9 (rover) engine on a rangerover for a customer. it has a webber 500 carb fitted and I need to re-jet it for the 3.9. I've no idea what jets are currently fitted as I haven't had it apart yet, but I've got the "re-calibration" kit from Real Steel.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what jets/metering rods will be correct for a 3.9 with a standard rover cam? Thanks.

Badger.
"Real sport has 8 spark plugs"
www.roverv8engines.co.uk

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Re-jetting a webber 500 carb

Post by Paul B »

badger wrote:Guys, I'm hoping someone on here can help me with this one as I'm struggling for time - not enough hours in a day to spend a day or so mucking about!

Just swapping a 3.5 for a 3.9 (rover) engine on a rangerover for a customer. it has a webber 500 carb fitted and I need to re-jet it for the 3.9. I've no idea what jets are currently fitted as I haven't had it apart yet, but I've got the "re-calibration" kit from Real Steel.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what jets/metering rods will be correct for a 3.9 with a standard rover cam? Thanks.
Look back through this section as there are dozens of posts about it, giving every possible convolution of what to use, or not to use.

gd302
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by gd302 »

i read on another website that for a 3.9 engine its 6552 rods and .083 primary jets

jefferybond
Getting There
Getting There

Post by jefferybond »

gd302 wrote:i read on another website that for a 3.9 engine its 6552 rods and .083 primary jets
This is 4% leaner than stock (6552 rods, .086 primary jets), and my 3.5 actually ran lean at this setting, and I found out that stock was best. I would use the stock jetting as a starting point and see how it goes. I think the type of exhaust manifold you have makes a big difference to mixture requirements, as well as the cam.

Jeff

badger
Getting There
Getting There

Post by badger »

I ended up with std jets and rods, it seems fine at that.....
Badger.
"Real sport has 8 spark plugs"
www.roverv8engines.co.uk

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I use the stock setting for my low comp 3500, and it is a tad rich. But only on the back six pots. The front two always run a bit lean. I'm using the 500 and the offy 360 manifold.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”