Pumps, the eternal conundrum

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Nick Moore

Pumps, the eternal conundrum

Post by Nick Moore »

I know this question's been asked before in various ways - I'd like to know what brand of low-pressure (ie carburettor) fuel pumps people here swear by, or at. I've been reading comments on various forums (including this one) on Facet pumps, Holley red/blue, Carter... for each you can find some people saying they're an ideal solution, while others report unreliability, fluctuating pressure, dreadful noise or short lives. I was thinking of using a Holley Red pump, for instance, until I read this:

"Surprisingly, when my partner called Holley's "Tech" center yesterday, he was told that both the "red" and "blue" pumps were NOT designed for continuous daily-driving use, but only for racing conditions lasting a few hours at a time. Holley's tech adviser then told him that this is the reason Holley offers rebuild kits for their pumps!! YIKES!!!"

So far the only pump no one has criticised is the original mechanical P6V8 pump! And as I'm planning to put an Edelbrock 500 carb on an improved P6V8 engine, I might just stick with the original, unless someone can suggest a reliable electric alternative?

It's not a bodge if no one finds out!

The Original Tom
Getting There
Getting There

Post by The Original Tom »

I know nothing about uprated fuel pumps, but if the engine's not a howling demon, why not try a Range Rover external fuel pump?
The can be mounted where you like, are electric, and shouldn't have any problems in a daily driver!

Just a thought.
Tom.
Rover 3.5 V8 landy - Completely rebuilt and purring... Now awaiting a good tune!!

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tetlow »

My first facet only lasted 2 weeks , but was replaced FOC when I sent it back. ( 14 months after I bought it). :D
The Holley worked fine but was very noisey. (Too noisey) Sold it. :oops:
I am running at the moment with a Red Facet with a pressure regulator.
I have a 3.5 approx 170bhp.
Dave
1973 MGBGT
1975 MGB V8

I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it turns out it was a train comming!!

Pocket rocket
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Pocket rocket »

I've got a second hand Red Top and that's worked fine for the past 2 years. It's just mounted on two mini exhaust bobbins with a filter between the tank and the pump. I did buy a fuel regulator but never fitted it. :)

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Pumps, the eternal conundrum

Post by Paul B »

Nick Moore wrote:I know this question's been asked before in various ways - I'd like to know what brand of low-pressure (ie carburettor) fuel pumps people here swear by, or at. I've been reading comments on various forums (including this one) on Facet pumps, Holley red/blue, Carter... for each you can find some people saying they're an ideal solution, while others report unreliability, fluctuating pressure, dreadful noise or short lives. I was thinking of using a Holley Red pump, for instance, until I read this:

"Surprisingly, when my partner called Holley's "Tech" center yesterday, he was told that both the "red" and "blue" pumps were NOT designed for continuous daily-driving use, but only for racing conditions lasting a few hours at a time. Holley's tech adviser then told him that this is the reason Holley offers rebuild kits for their pumps!! YIKES!!!"

So far the only pump no one has criticised is the original mechanical P6V8 pump! And as I'm planning to put an Edelbrock 500 carb on an improved P6V8 engine, I might just stick with the original, unless someone can suggest a reliable electric alternative?
I'm using the second smallest facet solid state pump, done 4500 miles on it so far with no problems.

Having said that, you need to make sure it is mounted below fuel level and back near the fuel tank, else you will get all sorts of tapping and clacking noise from it as it digests air bubbles and whatever else causes it.

jefferybond
Getting There
Getting There

Post by jefferybond »

I use a facet red top, and it's been faultless for over 2 1/2 years and 6000 miles (despite reports of unreliability). It's mounted on rubber bobbins, and also below the tank, so always gets a good fuel supply.

It's quite noisy when priming, but soon quietens down once the pressure comes up. Once the engines fired up you'd never hear it over the din!

I did notice that the pressure was a little high for my weber 500, so I now run a filter king regulator, although the car did run OK without it!

Jeff

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Used a Holley Red Top, it was on the car the 2+ yrs I had it and several before that, thousands of miles no probs. It was my daily. Rated at 7psi, measured 6psi at the carb so never bothered with a reg (Weber 500 and Holley 390 before that). Bloody noisy though despite rubber mounts.

IainB
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by IainB »

Had a Holley Blue Top - did everything I wanted, but was a bit noisy.
Currently have 2 Black Tops waiting to go on the drag car....dont really care about the noise on that though!! :P

Nick Moore

Post by Nick Moore »

Thanks for the answers guys, the standard Range Rover one is a good idea. It's not a Lucas part though, is it? :shock:
It's not a bodge if no one finds out!

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”