Blowing Exhaust manifold.

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Mine weren't too badly out but continually blew, though part of the prob was a small nick in the face, must have gave a narrow contact area in one spot .

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tetlow »

Stainless ceramic coated inside and out blockhuggers. 8)
Blow like bu**ery :oops:

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Have you pit a straight edge across them Dave?

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tetlow »

I have had them on a very nice Granite Surface table. They are not too bad but a good look shows the flanges are angled up to about 1mm off true.
I was going to grind and linish them myself but the MGOC gave me a company they use, ( Iver Searle) and I gave them a ring. I will take them there and they will do them as I wait. They have a chap to linishes them by hand, seems best to let someone who knows how to do it have a go first.
Dave

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

tetlow wrote:Paul.
What Silicon would that be?
I have tried exhaust paste and it was crap.
Dave
Any non-hard setting 'heatproof' silicon sealant will do. The stuff is virtually bulletproof. I used to use the stuff on huge diesel Caterpillar turbo manifolds, and they glow red.

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tetlow »

Cheers Paul
I have some silicone that stays flexable. It has a max temp of 350C.
This is about the highest I can find at the moment.
I drove out passed Cambridge yesterday to get the manifolds ground, only to be told they could not do it! :evil:
I saw a hand linisher they had which looked good for manually levelling them. It was made by DIAFAST.
I am at the moment trying to find a supplyer. It looks like a Surform but has Hook and Loop abrasive strips on the bottom.
Does anyone know where I can get one please. :D
Dave

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

tetlow wrote:Cheers Paul
I have some silicone that stays flexable. It has a max temp of 350C.
This is about the highest I can find at the moment.
I drove out passed Cambridge yesterday to get the manifolds ground, only to be told they could not do it! :evil:
I saw a hand linisher they had which looked good for manually levelling them. It was made by DIAFAST.
I am at the moment trying to find a supplyer. It looks like a Surform but has Hook and Loop abrasive strips on the bottom.
Does anyone know where I can get one please. :D
Dave
Linisher? Naaaaah. Getting too complicated. If I were at home I'd offer to do them for you.
Paul B wrote: A flat surface (to check against) and a 4" grinder with a flap disc in and you can flatten them yourself near enough to seal. They don't have to be perfect to 0.005", just close enough that a gasket and a squeeze of silicon will seal them.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”