General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

The Original Tom
Getting There
Getting There

Injector flow rate / EFi Fuel pump?

Post by The Original Tom »

Bit of a double-header here:

Firstly, what is the standard flow rate of a 3.5 and 3.9 efi range rover injector? And how much more do they have left in them (e.g are they running an 80% duty cycle to power a 3.5, or will they take some extra power?)

Secondly, when I see kits on ebay that advertise as "everything you need to convert from carb to efi", there's never a fuel pump. I assume you'd need a higher pressure pump, or is it incorporated into the manifold or something?
Where do these normally fit?

Cheers
Tom.

Rover 3.5 V8 landy - Completely rebuilt and purring... Now awaiting a good tune!!

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

The fuel pumps are commonly located in-tank and yes, as you say you will need a higher pressure one. A carb only takes 4.5psi on average, whereas a fuel injection system takes something like 30-40psi.

You can fit an external one but require a few additional components to get that kind of setup working, like a swirl pot to ensure a constant feed of fuel to the pump under cornering etc...

A high-pressure return line has to be fitted too, to let fuel back from the EFi rail.

Mine has a separate filter canister under the car as well but it is somewhat far from standard but all should have a filter somewhere.

The fuel pressure regulator is on the fuel pressure rail on EFi models, I think (but I stand to be corrected :))

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

search the old forum posts for the injector flow and the power they can produce.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”