Flapper EFI gremlins

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ozrover
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Flapper EFI gremlins

Post by ozrover »

Tried to get the new aquisition going again today (VDP EFI Oz Spec.)Had to be trailered home as the rego had ran out,had a bad missfire when I drove it onto the trailer but was happily runnning roughly.The previous owner had let his local gararge look at it and after a few days of fiddling they gave up and returned it no charge. When I arrived home and tried to start it to take it off the trailer,no go. Have replaced the fuel filter (was the 1985 original!!!),pump is pumping fuel,has spark,injectors are firing.I could see the gararge had fidled with the airflow meter,had i wound up too tight,the flap wasnt moving far enough while cranking to switch the fuel pump contacts.Any ideas on what would cause it not to start after the trailer trip?.
Doug

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: Flapper EFI gremlins

Post by ramon alban »

ozrover wrote:I could see the gararge had fidled with the airflow meter,had i wound up too tight,the flap wasnt moving far enough while cranking to switch the fuel pump contacts.Any ideas on what would cause it not to start after the trailer trip?.
Doug
Oh Dear! So much for a garage fiddling with the Efi system! It's bad enough when we do it ourselves!

You could read this to get an idea what you are dealing with, but in all honesty you really need a working unit to use initially as a substitute just to see if the system will run with a good AFM.

http://www.vintagemodelairplane.com/pag ... ter01.html

When you get to that stage, then, regarding what caused the initial problems? Without any signs or symptoms it is impossible to diagnose, but its possible to test for a lot of things, before you get it running and a lot more afterwards.

Having said that the vast majority of Rover Efi probs are caused by either rogue air leaks into the plenum or wiring and connector faults on the Efi wiring loom.

Unfortunately the scattergun approach rarely works so it is probably going to need a methodical process.

http://www.vintagemodelairplane.com/pag ... djust.html

Ramon
http://www.vintagemodelairplane.com

ozrover
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

re

Post by ozrover »

I have a twin to this 1 sitting next to it,even same moonraker blue.It runs perfect so I can swap over bits from it ,just hoping not to need to pull too much of it apart.I am thinking I might start with the fuel pump (preasure problem?) AFM and the regulator as possible suspects.
Doug

V8 Mini

Re: Flapper EFI gremlins

Post by V8 Mini »

ozrover wrote:I could see the gararge had fidled with the airflow meter,had i wound up too tight,the flap wasnt moving far enough while cranking to switch the fuel pump contacts.
i thought the relays switched the pump on when cranking via the ignition switch, the AFM only switches on the relay as the engine is running and drawing air.

ozrover
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

re

Post by ozrover »

I am having a read of Ramons (excellent) site now,it mentions the two contacts in the AFM for the pump there as well.I could hear the pump cut in and out when I manually moved the wiper in the AFM,but when I was cranking the motor it only flicked on for a moment at a time every so often.
Doug

Coastcard

Post by Coastcard »

There should be a connection to the fuel pump via the ECU that activates it during crank (i.e. overiding the afm contacts). The white/red triggers it and the white/purple feeds to the pump.

If this is intermittently working, may be worth checking these connections and also the ignition switch (then the pump).

There is an excellent Sticky Flapper wiring diagram on the Electrical forum.

TimoV

Post by TimoV »

Coastcard wrote:There should be a connection to the fuel pump via the ECU that activates it during crank (i.e. overiding the afm contacts). The white/red triggers it and the white/purple feeds to the pump.

If this is intermittently working, may be worth checking these connections and also the ignition switch (then the pump).

There is an excellent Sticky Flapper wiring diagram on the Electrical forum.
It also might be worthwile to check the connections of the white wire with black stripe going from negative side of coil to tne ECU.

It feeds the ECU with the engine speed signal. Faulty connection here might cause similar symptons.
-TimoV

Diesel is for poor people.
Range Rover 3.9EFI, 1990

ozrover
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

re

Post by ozrover »

Slowly wading through this........I have fitted a known good AFM off the other car,have confirmed the pump is now operating correctly,have fuel spraying from the cold start injector while cranking,the other injectors are rireing when they should.Still not starting,not even a backfire when I vary the timing 15 deg. both ways.Spark is good.i have however noticed that when i turn the dissy there are a couple of what sounds like relays clicking on then off under the dash on the drivers side,which I cant hear on the other car.Any ideas?
Doug.........tired and ready to fit a TD5 diesel.....

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: re

Post by ramon alban »

ozrover wrote:Slowly wading through this........I have fitted a known good AFM off the other car,have confirmed the pump is now operating correctly,have fuel spraying from the cold start injector while cranking,the other injectors are rireing when they should.Still not starting,not even a backfire when I vary the timing 15 deg. both ways.Spark is good.i have however noticed that when i turn the dissy there are a couple of what sounds like relays clicking on then off under the dash on the drivers side,which I cant hear on the other car.Any ideas?
Doug.........tired and ready to fit a TD5 diesel.....
Nearby the dizzy are connections to the Aircon clutch. also a wire that goes to the ECU. also a wire to the temperature sender also wires to the diagnostic socket. also wires to the ign amplifier.

Could it be that rotating the dizzy is earthing a trapped wire and making a relay operate randomly?

Find out which relay(s) is clicking and identify its purpose.

Then you can see if it is anything to do with the EFI.

Non of the above solves the starting problem but it would eliminate a false trail.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”