new rocker shaft and rocker fitment, how to shim?

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

new rocker shaft and rocker fitment, how to shim?

Post by JSF55 »

Hi Guys, forked out for some new rocker shafts and rockers for the rover, seeing as the engines been run will i still be able to check the preload? i fitted some rhodes bleed down lifters, do they bleed down enough? john

So thats where it went !

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I took my rhoades out a few weeks back and soaked them in petrol. I shook them and dried them and soaked them again. But they still did not dry out enough to be able to push the cup down like the new dry set I was comparing them to. I ended up taking everyone apart and washing them out. There may be a way to do it without stripping them down, but I coudlnt figure it out. I tried pushing the cup down while in petrol and shaking each one up and down etc, but only a couple seemed to free up.

I'm going to re check my pre load tomorrow night, and I will be fitting the new dry set to make it quicker.

They were in the bowl of petrol for 10 days, with a little shake every night.

FWIW

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

And i want to get it back up on it's feet by tmrw afternoon !! anyone else know away round this problem, or is it possible to do them with the oil still in them??
So thats where it went !

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

When I did mine with the standard lifters I stuck each one in a vice with a bolt up against the part that the pushrod bares on. I squeezed the lifter enough to flick out the spring clip. You can pour out the oil and reassemble the lifter. It takes 5 mins to do each and gets very boring after a while!

Put something soft between the vice and the lifter so that you don't scratch it.

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

That looks like they way i'll have to go ...... looks like a long day !!
So thats where it went !

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

It doesnt take very long to empty the rhoades lifters. I just used circlip pliers to remove the top ring and made sure I had my finger over the top to stop anything springing out.

I reckon it took about an hour or so to do them all.

But I'm lucky to have a spare set to save me some time to finish off tonight.

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Got a nice routine going when i did them, did them all in about hour, put a nice clean phillips screwdriver in the midle and pressed down, circlip came out easy, turned it upside down and moved on to the next one, did one side and reassembled, did the other side the same !! then spent 2 hours looking for the shims !! :nutz
So thats where it went !

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”