4 barrel EFI idea - on an EFi 3.5 - Better or worse?

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Thanks Eliot - much confirmed what I'd already settled on there. I read through your site with much interest (kudos for putting that all up, very well documented!), noted the bit on you having torque issues with the single plane. I'm used to driving stuff that's cammy and struggles at low RPM in heavy traffic so used to it now anyway (although I'm sure it wouldn't be anywhere near that bad :lol:)

I'd also settled on 8 injectors as well, instead of using the TBI - and contacted Mr Shurvinton about getting one but at the moment I'm hanging back until I can check it'll fit under the bonnet OK (with air filter etc), as I don't want to spend all that money on the manifold, gaskets, body and fittings to find it jams the hood open :lol: (probably help my cooling though!)

Thanks again for the info though, nice to have extra input!

All going on this, for reference (bonnet off whilst chasing heat soak issues)

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

What kind of air flow rating does the Autonomics 4 barrel body have?
I'm after a 4 barel body for my 302 but the super duper and expensive! billet ones from Accufab come with a 1250CFM rating and 700CFM would be the max I would want :?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Accufab- ... enameZWD1V

Mark

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

As standard Autonomics quote 750+ CFM, with it supporting up to 1000+CFM when modified (bored).

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

I bored mine out to 41mm. But that was on a 5.7 turbo.
http://www.mez.co.uk/turbo9.html
Last edited by Eliot on Tue May 08, 2007 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

bill shurvinton wrote:£120 for a set of injectors is not bad. You will pay £80 to get a set of rover ones cleaned anyway.

TB injection has plus and minus points. It does work well. Fuel distribution is pretty good as the throttle plates shear the fuel nicely. But at the end of the day, if you can get port injection fabricated easily/ cheaply you might as well.
Fook £80 is cheap to get injectors cleaned, I went down my local Bosch agent to get them cleaned, + a spare set and was qouted £27+vat each, even when I sais they would be out of the car, the price was still £27.00------------ thats around £500 to get my injectors cleaned-------guess what, they are still dirty
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

Lewis wrote:As standard Autonomics quote 750+ CFM, with it supporting up to 1000+CFM when modified (bored).
That sounds spot on 8-)
How much are you charging for them Bill ?

Mark

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

Eliot wrote:I bored mine out to 41mm. But that was on a 5.7 turbo.http://www.mez.co.uk/turbo9.html
What's going on in this pic ?

Are the restrictors easily removable ?

thanks

Mark

bill shurvinton
Getting There
Getting There

Post by bill shurvinton »

Lewis wrote:Eye up, I got it from http://www.diyautotune.com . They charge $193.00 for MS1 V3 complete kit (including case), which is 97 quid. The complete MS2 V3 was $253.00, 127 quid.

D'ya reckon that is reasonable or rather over the odds. I did shop around quite a bit and thought it pretty competitive. They seem to have a very good reputation as well. These are unassembled, in component form - the fully built MS2 V3 clocks in at 206 quid, which seemed reasonable compared to eBay and various other sources (negating shipping and customs, of course, love relatives :lol:). They included a harness so you can start building your own loom, as well as clear packaging and instructions...
MS1/extra has rev-limiting and a dozen options that the MS2 doesn't yet have
This IS interesting though - These are the things they list as 'new' compared to the MS1 on their site:
24 MHz HCS12 processor,
- Fuel control to 1 µsec (100 times more resolution than MegaSquirt-I),
- Ignition control (full spark timing advance control, dwell control, etc) for one coil/distributor (7 pin HEI for example) and Ford's EDIS systems,
- On-board stepper motor driver for IAC stepper control (this requires a few jumpers to be added on the MegaSquirt PCB to connect the socket jumpers to the DB37 connector),
- Ford PWM idle valve firmware support,
- Built-in rev limiter, either 'fuel cut' or 'spark retard',
- All tables are now 12×12 in size,
- WBO2 AFR target table (in AFR units),
- Independent dual-tables for VE and AFR target,
- EGO feedback in wide-band mode is proportional to the differencebetween the measured AFR and the target AFR, the bigger the difference, the bigger the feedback step,
- Spark advance table can have different rpm and kpa bins than VE and AFR tables,
- 115,200 baud serial interface with MegaTune2.25+,
- CANbus networking
- Barometric correction amount and direction configurable in software, and provisions for:
- barometric correction based on initial MAP reading,
independent 2nd barometric MAP sensor for continuous real-time baro correction, or no baro correction.
-TPS values for open loop and flood clear mode are user configurable,
- MAP based open loop can be set as well as TPS,
- Both TPS and MAP based accel enrichment is built into the code, you can configure the ratio of each,
- Blended Alpha-N and speed density is an option,
- 2 spare I/O lines for custom controls. (This is in addition to 4 lines for Idle stepper control if you don't need this, or the Fast idle solenoid then becomes a spare if you do use a stepper motor.)
Seemed pretty compelling to me - then again, the majority of those things might be something the average user will never even look at, let alone use....but I might play with them. :twisted:

But if it's the case that the above is incorrect and not quite a true sale, then do say, might be inclined to do something about it :?:
DIYautotune prices are about the same as everyone else. Unless you can slip under the customs radar you have to ad 25-30% for vat and clearance fees. Your issue is support if it doesn't work.

Their list of new features is compared to the fuel only MS1 code, not the extra code which everyone acutally uses. The text quoted is copied from the MSEFI site and was written by someone who refuses to accept the existance of the extra code. I would say it is slightly misleading, but is not technically lying. Jerry sells a lot of kits, but I personally don't think he takes the time to explain the options properly.

For example some of the things Phil runs on his cobra
Launch control? Not there
Flat shift? Not there
Nitrous control? Not there

Everything else bar CAN and stepper IAC is pretty much covered by MS1. Also nearly every V8 in the UK is on MS1/extra so people know that.

Mark: Regarding the restrictors, they are useful on smaller engines, or if you want to mod the throttle linkage for staged opening. They just drop in.

I can't post prices on the forum, it would be inappropriate. But PM me if interested.

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Mark wrote:Are the restrictors easily removable ?
Mark
As Bill says, they are just inserts - they are optional extras for smaller engines i believe. (Several of the photos on that page are straight from Bill)
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Thanks for that Bill - I'll bear that in mind if anyone asks me about it. Glad I didn't pay over the odds either but yes, if you were to ship one via mail it certainly would get expensive pretty rapidly!

As mine is a kit, I'm probably going to be the only one to blame if it buggers up :lol:

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”