Okay for an interim?

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

sean

Okay for an interim?

Post by sean »

My tried and trusted 3.5 is hopefully to replaced by a rebuilt 3.9 soon ish. Well maybe not that soon. However, I am thinking carbs and wondered if i go the edelbrock and weber 500 route ultimately for the 3.9, would I gain much from putting them onto my 3.5 in the interim, bearing in mind my SU's are presumably p6 age, with linkages to match?

Thanks

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

Should be fine. I have the edelbrock on my 3.5. Some people say it is too big for the 3.5, but i would disagree with that. True, the 3.5 only breaths about 380CFM making the holley 390 the right size, but the edelbrock has smaller primaries, meaning it is ok at small throttle positions, and when the mechanical secondaries open, there is a rudimentary airvalve so it only flows the amount needed.

I got mine from RPI and it ran straight out the box (like a pig but it ran :lol:) One thing you will need tho is a good ignition system, with magnecor or mallory leads or suminc because the carb tends to soot the plugs up. I thought mine was running way too rich but no amount of adjustment and jet changing helped, just gave me weak mixture behaviour....flat spots etc... Changing the leads fixed that totally, and a few jet changes to set up for my engine, and was brill. You can get the linkages etc....but I made mine out of bits and piece I had lieing around, just one of them ball and socket thingamies, a thing to fix the cable to and a spring (in line with the cable to reduce load on the carb spindles). Easy.

sean

Post by sean »

Thanks, that's veryhelpful. Are you all set up properly now and what would you consider the most noticable difference over the SU's? Throttle reponse?

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

I am properly set up now. As for SUs I don't know cos I never had the SUs, but I would imagine it's an improvement. I would say the edelbrock will be far more thirsty tho, especially if you use the noise pedal a lot, because they have an accelerator pump. It certainly runs well, especially when the secondaries open and you get a kick in the back.

Though I suppose its not a problem specific to the edelbrock, but a plastic insulating spacer in between the manifold and carb will stop fuel vaporisation problems

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”