Group A SD1 Vitesse

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

There's always all sorts of rule bending going on in motorsport, the cleverest one i know of was some team in nascar, they're only allowed a certain sized fuel tank and all the teams struggled to make it a full race distance at racing speed on this one tank of fuel so one clever guy thought "I know! My tank can only be X size but they didn't say how long my fuel hose can be!"

He ended up with a few miles of fuel line so up the total capacity therefore allowing him to drive at full race speed the whole distance (or at least for longer than his competitors) nd win lots of races!
Last edited by ihatesissycars on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

ihatesissycars wrote:There's always all sorts of rule bending going on in motorsport, the cleverest one i know of was some team in nascar, they're only allowed a certain sized fuel tank and all the teams struggled to make it a full race distance at racing speed on this one tank of fuel so one clever guy thought "I know! My tank can only be X size but they didn't say how long my fuel can be!"

He ended up with a few miles of fuel line so up the total capacity therefore allowing him to drive at full race speed the whole distance (or at least for longer than his competitors) nd win lots of races!
Smokey Yunick, is the fella, Has to be the most inventive fella in motor racing, I will tell more of his escapades later,
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

F1 years ago when they had the fixed sized fuel tanks and the limit on refueling, they chilled the fuel so its volume reduced for a given weight of fuel, things used to pi** petrol all over the starting grid.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

A yunick trick,, he designed a different cam, used all the same parameters as the allowed cam, but was ground so the engine rotated in the opposite direction, The idea being the centrifugal weight of the engine exreted a load in the opposite direction so to keep the car from climbing the banking under accelleration.
You must use the factory fuel tank, so he inflated the tank with an airline, gained an 2 galls capacity, the 2" fuel line was another trick used, the rules never stated the size of the line needed.
As NASCAR is a silouete formula, he had heard a roumour that the body profile template did not fit the standard car, once proved this to the scruteneers with a standard car in the he drove his new car in to scrutineering, they could not proove the profile was correct, and the car was an 7/8ths replicar of the factory shell, fuel in the roll cage, nitrous in the cage as well are all other tricks he was known for, and I suppose many many more.
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Group A

Post by Group A »

'Ow do?!

Just checking in. Computer simulation work still ongoing. Got the measurements I needed for the Twin Plenum. Am now trying to refine the exhausts (doesn't everyone have a set of SD1 manifolds sitting by their PC?). Also trying to model frictionless ports, the idea being to simulate the port's contribution to the tuned without it affecting the flow coefficients as port flow is already taken into account in the original flow bench data.

Cheers,

Gp.A

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”