Rocker shaft orientation

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Rocker shaft orientation

Post by JSF55 »

Have i got it right, both notches go to the front of the engine and at the top of the shaft? john

So thats where it went !

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Rocker shaft orientation

Post by adamnreeves »

I seem to recall at the front and the 1 o'clock position. My rocker shafts do not have this mark and I was told it does not matter on mine.
JSF55 wrote:Have i got it right, both notches go to the front of the engine and at the top of the shaft? john

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Oh dear .... i seem to have 2 shafts that look the same and was wondering if they were left and right hand, anyone else?? looked in the manual but it's a pretty poor drawing, john
So thats where it went !

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

I believe that the oil holes for the rockers should be pointing more or less towards the lifters as thats the area of maximum pressure where the rockers bares on the shaft. I could be wrong, hopefully someone will confirm.

Regards,

Pete

jrv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by jrv8 »

sidecar wrote:I believe that the oil holes for the rockers should be pointing more or less towards the lifters as thats the area of maximum pressure where the rockers bares on the shaft. I could be wrong, hopefully someone will confirm.

Regards,

Pete
Correct. The oil holes should point downwards on the inboard side, for the reason given above..
Jim

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Right oh, i'll give it a good looking at tmrw ! john
So thats where it went !

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

This sounds like my rockers with no marks and being told it does not matter by one of the leading engine builders may be incorrect?

I shall check tonight and hope if it was incorect advice that I was I beat the odds of 50%!

russell_ram
Getting There
Getting There

Post by russell_ram »

'' hope . . . I beat the odds of 50%!''

What are the chances of that given your recent issues? :shock:

Have you sorted your clutch arm yet?

Russ
Rover Powered to 11.63sec @ 128mph.

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Tell me about it!
Clutch release arm apparently FTC810 supercedes LBU1234 accordning to Rimmers.

Er, FTC810 is landrover 4WD part and LBU1234 is SD1/TR7/8 2WD, I tihnk not.
Still not received it, if it doesn;t come tomorrow I am going to call them again.

russell_ram wrote:'' hope . . . I beat the odds of 50%!''

Russ

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

adamnreeves wrote:Tell me about it!
Clutch release arm apparently FTC810 supercedes LBU1234 accordning to Rimmers.

Er, FTC810 is landrover 4WD part and LBU1234 is SD1/TR7/8 2WD, I tihnk not.
Still not received it, if it doesn;t come tomorrow I am going to call them again.

to think I carefully ordered the correct parts and every nut and bolt and I drove over 400 miles to get last minute items to finish the job only to be let down by this. Look you have started me off again. :D

Russ

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

How can I check with the rockers on the engine? I do not want to disturb as I spent ages adjusting all my pushrods to spot on preloads. I cannot see any holes!

I remember not beleiving what I heard at the time but the absense of a mark on the end of the assmblies sort of proved what I was being told. I remembered checking the oilways in the head matched with the rocker pedestals and noticing that the rocker pedestals had two oil ways each meaning not need for these to be ligned up. The oilways were symetrical as well.

Don't laugh but I also remembered thinking I would match the writing, the part numbers on the rockers arms to picture in the rebuild manual in the hope that this would be okay.

Russ

Sondar

Post by Sondar »

You're not looking for "marks" on the end of the shaft. I think what we're talking about here are the oil feed holes in the shaft.
Sondar

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Oh right and my shafts having two oil feeds means the advice I was gave about being orientationless (such as word?) is probably correct then. I must stop worrying all the time!

- Adam.

Sondar wrote:You're not looking for "marks" on the end of the shaft. I think what we're talking about here are the oil feed holes in the shaft.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

adamnreeves wrote:Oh right and my shafts having two oil feeds means the advice I was gave about being orientationless (such as word?) is probably correct then. I must stop worrying all the time!

- Adam.

Sondar wrote:You're not looking for "marks" on the end of the shaft. I think what we're talking about here are the oil feed holes in the shaft.
The shaft does have two feeds that come up through the rocker shaft mounting pillars.

You need to slide one of the rockers along the shaft, (or remove the one at the end of the shaft). The oil feed hole should be pointing downwards towards the middle of the valley. Doing this or even removing the whole rocker shaft assembly should not mess up the pre-load as long as you fit it back on the same way and torque the bolts up the same. If the shafts are on wrong way then this might mess things up but you'll need rotate the shaft or you'll wear out the shaft and rockers. (Which will mess up the pre-load anyway!).

Fingers crossed that they're on the right way round. :D

Regards,

Pete

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

Haynes shafts are right and left handed, the notch on each case should be uppermost. On the right hand bank it should be located facing forwards, on the left hand bank it should be located facing backwards.
The illustration shows the notch uppermost on the lifter side.

I once made a mistake on this one and it did cost me 16 new rockers within 500 miles.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”