Trumpet Base Blending,

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

what im using at the moment yes and think they are about 36mm standard???

Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Standard trumpets and base is 38mm. If you manifold is 42mm, you are not getting the best out of it imo.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

looks like im needing a ported intake too,
more money then :(
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

There's a difference between needing, and wanting.

I wouldnt go nuts spending lots of money with this, as I really dont feel you'll gain much.

Let the blower do the work for you, it's already there so effectively free.

And as it is a blower and pumping air all the time, it will make any benefits from the manifold much smaller than they might be with n/a
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Coops wrote:looks like im needing a ported intake too,
more money then :(
ported intake? I thought you said the inlet manifold is 42mm? What are you referring to with "ported intake"
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8250 »

Tony, if you're needing any porting/opening out, have you spoken with James Goldstraw at Grace Engine Developements in Newbury? They do good work and are correctly priced.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

i may of got things crossed Eliot.

are you saying using the 38mm trumpet base on my 42mm manifold is not getting the best out of it? which is what i know hence why looking at the trumpet base opening out and ditch the trumpets,

or that standard its only 38mm and mines only 42mm (which is what i thought you meant) is why its no good,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

If you can get some porting done at a sensible price, go ahead, but really dont spend a fortune on this.

A cam swap would likely give better results per ££ outlay.

It's not like n/a or even turbo where off boost you're reliant on atmospheric pressure to a certain point. With the centri it is shifting air all the time, even at lower loads and throttle openings, and even when it appears there is no boost. It is still helping move air.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

dbv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dbv8 »

I ported my own inlet manifold to about 43mm first using a plumbers drill bit then a few hours with carbide bits, files, flapper wheels, emery etc
Similar withe the trumpet base. Voids were filled with chemical metal. Not the prettiest of work but its worked well for me. I was concerned about fuel gathering in the voids from the nitrous injectors.
My NA is 329bhp on a 4.6 so seems to work well.

10.612 @ 129.77
176.5 standing mile.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

If you are using boost and nitrous I cant see that the blending thing will make a huge difference ?

Pel

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

dbv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dbv8 »

I agree that in a FI application the charger will do the work and overcome most usual NA restrictions.
NA tuning is also important to me. Its a known fact that the old 38mm inlet and trumpets strangle the higher capacity and tuned RV8s. Its common practice in the TVR community to upgrade to 45mm. Most prefer flaired trumpets and get excellent torque with free high rev breathing also.
I opted to do away with the trumpets and blend the base due to my nitrous application with fuel entering the plenum.
I am sure there are also benefits to be had in FI applications also but it may be negligable when all you need to do is up the boost marginally to overcome any restrictions.
10.612 @ 129.77
176.5 standing mile.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

It's not so much about the boost overcoming any restriction, but because there is boost there, the restriction for any given power level just may not be there in the first place.

It's the same with turbochargers. You might think that weedy small manifold and turbine housing will strangle the engine. Far from it in reality.

But as said, by all means do it on a budget, but dont go crazy spending a fortune. IMO it will not bee good value for money in terms of end performance.

A cam swap would likely be cheaper and offer more potential
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

I think a cam swap would lead to a few issues. Overlap plays a part here as I think coops is approaching 11:1 CR.
Spent so much on trial and error!

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I dont know what cam he has, and nobody suggest more overlap. But then we dont know how much overlap he has to suggest whether more or less might be appropriate.

There are dozens of profile options or a custom grind option, but there are many many variables.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

dbv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dbv8 »

For cam advice i would recommend a chat with Rob Robertson. Give the full spec and requirements and he will choose or spec you a custom grind.
Lots of modified TVR owners happy with his work.
Top guy.
10.612 @ 129.77
176.5 standing mile.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”