lifters preload SHOCK!!!

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

disco-v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

lifters preload SHOCK!!!

Post by disco-v8 »

well im slowly stripping the top half of my engine down, just to make sure everying is running ok with it, plus to do afew other tweaks to it 8)

well ive rececently found out that the preloads have to be set on the tappets, and to do this all the lifters have to be drained and then refitted and the gap has to be checked

well my engine looks fine so no problems there.... so i took the rocker shafts off and took all the tappets out to drain them of oil, while the heads where still bolted to the block....

i took all the lifters apart and draind and cleaned them fitted them into there rite hole and then fitted the rocker shafts again.....

i was told the min preload should be about 0.020inch (20tho) so got a peice of welding wire 0.6mm (0.022inch) and bent it to fit under the lifter spring................ :shock:

think im going to need something thicker...... the only thing that i could find to fit under there was a small phillips screw driver..... i put something small under there which was 2.5mm but it looks like the gap is about 3mm :shock:

i couldnt believe it!!!!! 3mm..... then with the rock ratio of 1.6:1 what the hell does that do to my valve :(

(oh and believe me i wasnt messureing it with the cam lobe pushing on it, it was deffinatly 180 degrees out)

what sort of effects will this have on my engine?????

think its time for some adjustable push rods

Return to “Engines Area”