Engine stand help

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Cortinaphile

Engine stand help

Post by Cortinaphile »

Hi,

I'm a bit embarrassed asking this but how do I connect my 71 Ford 302 block (from a Torino) to the engine stand I have bought?

The engine stand has the four connectors but I don't know how to bolt it on or what bolts I need.

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm keen to get building!

Thanks,

Phil

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

Get bolts made up for the job and use the spacers that come with the stant (if they did). I had colne valley fasteners make up some grade 8 bolts for me. Basically I leave an unthreaded shank on the bolt that is equal in length to the length of the spacer tubes+the thickness of the 'arms' on the stand and then minus a mm or so. This is so that you can get it tight enough to let the spacer tubes do their job. I'll post a pic of some of my stand bolts tomorrow if I get a chance.

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

I don't understand. What size are the bell housing bolts? 3/8ths. Just buy some. If the shank is too long, put lots of washer's in or some tube to fill the gaps.

Cortinaphile

Post by Cortinaphile »

Thanks for the replies!

So it really is just a matter of (grade 8?) bolts through the holes in the stands 4 "arms" to the bellhousing connections?

I wasn't sure if some bits (extensions to the arms say) were missing or if 4 bolts would be up to the job of supporting the weight... and didn't want to find out the hard way!

This is the stand I've got (although this only shows 2 "arms"): http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... gine-stand

Some pics would be great HairbearTE!

Cheers

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Ive had a fully dressed rover and a chevy on one of those. Although I'm worried about the weight of the cast iron heads i'm about to fit onto a big block chrylser engine with just those four mountings.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

Pocket rocket
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Pocket rocket »

Here's a picture of my V6 (sorry guys :oops: ) on an engine stand complete with well dodgy spacers on the bolts (more :oops: )
[/img]Image

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

Here are some of the bolts I have had made by colne valley. The smaller ones are for use with shorter spacers and were for a four pot I once built. The larger ones are Rover v8 fitting. In the other pic you can see the spacers in use. The spacers are important bacause when fitted properly they take the strain off the bolts and firmly locate the engine on the stand. Without them the engine would hang loosely on the stand. When I needed bolts made up I drew a scale drawing of what i wanted and posted it off with a bellhousing bolt so they got the thread right.

Cortinaphile

Post by Cortinaphile »

Thanks for all your help!

Do you mind my asking how much it cost to have these special bolts made up? I've asked Basil's Bolts and was told that it would be "mega money" to have some made :( Still, I don't want to skimp and have the block drop to the floor!

Thanks again
Last edited by Cortinaphile on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

Last time I got em it was £30 for two sets for RV8 (8 bolts in total) not mega money for 8 custom grade 8 bolts i'm sure you'd agree! I don't even know if colne valley fasteners are still around, it's been a while since I had some made, but have have a look - they're good guys to know.

Return to “Engines Area”