Stiff block ?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Stiff block ?

Post by JSF55 »

Hi Guys, would a SD1 engine be a stiff block ? i'm looking at an engine local to me and has the 30A00001A type number, or any other info ?thanks john

So thats where it went !

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

John,

You seem to have struck lucky, the 30A is a Vitesse engine and as such should be a stiff block and will be 9.75/1 compression, have better heads with waisted stem valves, bulleted guides and they are also relieved around the valve throats and from memory these had 184BHP standard from new.

Certainly worth a rebuild, and with a mild road cam and decent induction and exhaust should make an easy 200-210BHP.

Good luck.

Kevin.

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Thanks Kevin, unfortunatley it's only the short block, i already have a set of heads and a hlf decent cam in my "spare engine" just thought this would be a nice basis for a properly recon one, thanks, john
So thats where it went !

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Easy enough to upgrade your SD1 heads to Vitesse spec and if the bores are within limits you can save the high compression pistons and build youself s nice little motor.

Kevin.

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

I have the waisted stem valves in my heads, i didn't change the valve guides so i can kill that bird with one stone ! the hurricane cam has less thana 1000 miles on it so it will be perfectly sevicable, just need to find MONEY to pay for it all, thanks, john
So thats where it went !

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

John.

Don't forget that you need to match lifter to lobe when swapping the cam over to another block, if you mix them up you will get accelerated wear to both the lifters and the cam.

Kevin.

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Ooops missed that post, yep for sue ! my dear old dad taught me that one, i got it at a bargain price of £62 and he threw in some pushrods, well pleased, john
So thats where it went !

Return to “Engines Area”