Jensen Interceptor Engine Required.

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Jensen Interceptor Engine Required.

Post by r2d2hp »

Does anyone know if its possible to puchase a rebuilt or new Chrysler V8 Engine for the above car.

Looking for a 440 cui unit.

Or are there any engine builders around that would be prepared to recondition the old engine and gurantee it. Maybe build to a higher spec and Dyno.

Real Steel did not want to know.

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

If you look on the old forum for "adey", he might be able to help with a cut-out.
Or Ian at British American Engines, they can rebuild mopars, they do dynos & videos & guarantees

big thirsty

Re: Jensen Interceptor Engine Required.

Post by big thirsty »

r2d2hp wrote:Does anyone know if its possible to puchase a rebuilt or new Chrysler V8 Engine for the above car.

Looking for a 440 cui unit.

Or are there any engine builders around that would be prepared to recondition the old engine and gurantee it. Maybe build to a higher spec and Dyno.

Real Steel did not want to know.
Hi,

Give us a call on 0208 286 2484 as we can rebuild your exisiting engine to the same or higher spec with 12 months guarantee. Alternatively, have a look through our website on www.britishamericanengines.co.uk for some information about us. :D

Ian
Ian Briggs

British American Engines

www.britishamericanengines.co.uk

IainB
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by IainB »

I believe Hauser Racing also have a good reputation for a BBM along with Duncan Watts

V8 Mini

Post by V8 Mini »

Cropredy Bridge Garage just out side Banbury restores Jenson's, might be worth giving them a call http://www.jensen-cars.co.uk/

Richard

Post by Richard »

Looks like you can still get Chrysler 440 ci and related blocks/etc from Mopar. I couldn't find any 440 ci crate motors, but the parts seem to be available...
VEMS New Zealand Limited
Versatile Engine Management Systems : World Class Technology. Global Support.
For UK sales, visit VEMS UK

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

Richard wrote:I couldn't find any 440 ci crate motors, ...
You didn't look good enough :D :D

Here I have an adress in Belgium http://www.six-packspeedshop.be/ They also suplie Indy crate engines (BB Mopar).

If you have problems finding a new Mopar engine or parst, just conatct these guys.
In my experiance, they are good and cheap and most importand: they don't sell rubbish.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

r2d2hp is your intercepeter a factory 440? very rare if it is, most were 383's. If its not an original 440 why not go and get a crate 426 hemi insted and have a "this is what they should have built" car!

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Thanks for all the replies guys. Will follow up later today.

Hairbear, it was a 383. Is the 426 hemi a direct replacement and a better option.

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

The 383 Interceptors were actually considerably better on performance and mpg than the 440s, at least as std/original - the 440s were stifled because of the emissions laws etc which started to hit at the time.
As for whats better, it depends what you want to do; originality counts for a lot in value/resale terms. If you don't care about that & want to modify it, best talk to the people mentioned above & see what options there are re crate / rebuild / tune etc

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

R2 i dont think you could call the hemi a straight swap. As far as better option is concerned, well from a practicle point definatly not! but they started remaking them a few years back and now parts are much easier to come by. I am no expert on chryslers but i do know the hemi is a heavy engine. Im sure it dosent share the same block so i doubt if your mounts will be useful, but new mounts can be fabbed up easily enough. The hemi came equipped with dual 4bbl carbs in many of its factory applications and had a reputation for high fuel consumption and tricky driving next to the cheaper 440 versions of the same vehicles. The current crate 426's ship with a single 4bbl inlet and such a set up will make set-up easier and improve street manners too. I think a 426 hemi can be had for around $11-12k plus taxes. At the current exchange rates its a very tempting proposition, even after shipping+taxes.

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

Also in addition to above points dont forget that the hemi is a very wide engine! take measurements to make sure it fits widthwise.

Return to “Engines Area”