Rover/TVR compatibility

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Nutty

Rover/TVR compatibility

Post by Nutty »

Hi, I have a Rover V8 powered Dutton track car and am looking for more power. Considering a 4L TVR engine. I know the blocks are the same, but on the TVR the head is considerably modified. Could someone please advise if an Offenhouser manifold for a rover engine will fit the TVR unit? Same question also applies for exhaust manifold.

Regards

Nutty

TVRTASMIN
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by TVRTASMIN »

Are you definately sure the 4L TVR heads are heavily modified.
From what i have been told there is very little done to the engine, including the heads, until you get to the 4.3 and bigger.

I would opt for the 4.5 unit which is cross bolted as standard and gives the smoothest power delivery imho.

The manifolds etc you mention will bolt straight on.

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

Depends on what 4ltr.
If it was a old style 3.5 rebored engine as from the 400SE era, then then heads had a lot of work.
If it was from later Griff or chim car then there was a lot less work done.
Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

Nutty

Post by Nutty »

Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify, I was considering the 4L HC engine from late 90's (280hp claimed by TVR) which I believe has the high lift cam.

Thanks in advance

Nutty

Nutty

Post by Nutty »

P.S. I think engine is a 97 Chimaera

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

remember that TVR horsepower is calculated at approximately 1.2 x actual horsepower :lol:

TVRTASMIN
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by TVRTASMIN »

chodjinn wrote:remember that TVR horsepower is calculated at approximately 1.2 x actual horsepower :lol:
Exactly!

If you put TVR Rover V8 in the for sale ad, it will fetch more money for some reason.

The information i have came from a reputable engine builder who advertises on this site and related to a 1998 4 litre engine.

If you are looking to buy a Rover V8 TVR of that year ('97), then the cam will probably be knackered unless it has been replaced, as they often wear out with as little as 30-40K on.
A lot of TVR owners used Mobil 1 0W-40 which didn't do the engine any favours either.

I'd still recommend the 4.5 out of the Chimaera but obviously consider accelerated wear with any TVR engine as TVR didn't offer an auto as an option.
The 4.3 Big Valve pre serp engine in the Griff is excellent, but attract a premium, and are much sought after complete with car! :lol:

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

what gets me is that if you look, you can pic up a 'TVR' 5 litre crank for as little as £95 (I know DJE sold a few via ebay) - get that reground/balanced, built into a 3.9 block with standard rods/pistons & ARPs for less than a grand and with a decent cam there's about 260-280bhp

yet second hand short motors go for more than that!!!!

I am still shocked that TVR got away with claiming what, 340bhp? out of the later 5litres?! :shock:

I love TVRs through and through, but my god did they take the proverbial urine :roll:

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

chodjinn wrote:I am still shocked that TVR got away with claiming what, 340bhp? out of the later 5litres?! :shock:

I love TVRs through and through, but my god did they take the proverbial urine :roll:
They did change that to 320 after the 6 months as the 340 ones ran like sh1t.

My friend has a standard 5.0 chim and that got 299 on the rollers not too bad for a 8 year old car.

Most TVR figures are 10% more than what you get.

Agree most stuff labled TVR will fetch more on Ebay.

You are abest off just getting the engine you want be it 4 4.5 or 5 and getting the mods due you want.

as said TVR engines will have been used hard, so will need a rebuild anyway. unless its a low millage crashed one.
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

doesn't really matter i guess. I was looking at building a 5 litre, but then got told the cranks don't like more than 300bhp or high revs. My 3.9 is running close to that as it is at the moment :wink:

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

chodjinn wrote:doesn't really matter i guess. I was looking at building a 5 litre, but then got told the cranks don't like more than 300bhp or high revs. My 3.9 is running close to that as it is at the moment :wink:
True, but your get more torque with the 5ltr. plus will be less stressed 300BHP.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

given my cars weight, and more torque would probably rip the gearbox or diff apart when i give it some beans lol

Mind you, trhere is some company running a TVR Griff with a twin turbo 5litre and they are getting something daft like 600bhp - dunno if its a forged crank tho :?:

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

The 4.8 Twin Turbo engine built for Rover produced 960BHP at 7700RPM and peak torque was approx 650lb/ft at a somewhat high 7000RPM.

I think this was for the ZTT record braker but Rover went with a Roush Racing Ford unit producing if my memory is correct, approx 650BHP as the engine in the standard car was a Ford V8.

Who Knows if they'd used the Wildcat lump it might have hit 250MPH!

Kevin.

Nutty

Post by Nutty »

Many thanks for all the replies. For anyone interested, this was the engine I was considering (ebay 230172230192) but did'nt in the end. Mainly because if TVR exagurate hp by 15% or so then I would have little to gain.

My engine has been modified and recent RR showed 150hp at wheels. It's also been quite recently rebuilt and in VGC.

If the 4L HC engine is about 280 claimed by TVR, then actual when new would be 230hp. 10 year old engine, take another 5-10% so were down to 210hp. Then put on my holly carb (EFI too complicated for me) then were down to 200hp.

My 150hp engine (at wheels) must be 190 at flywheel, so nothing gained, except possibly an old unreliable engine, £900 spent and a good weekends work changing it!

I'll still keep an eye out tor a 4.3 or 4.5 though (at right price).

I assume they would bolt straight in with same inlet/exhaust manifolds?

I also wondered if the distributor would need replacing if fitting an engine with distributor designed for ECU in a non ECU set up

Cheers

Nutty.

motherofgod

Post by motherofgod »

CastleMGBV8 wrote:The 4.8 Twin Turbo engine built for Rover produced 960BHP at 7700RPM and peak torque was approx 650lb/ft at a somewhat high 7000RPM.

I think this was for the ZTT record braker but Rover went with a Roush Racing Ford unit producing if my memory is correct, approx 650BHP as the engine in the standard car was a Ford V8.

Who Knows if they'd used the Wildcat lump it might have hit 250MPH!

Kevin.
I recently spoke to wildcat about the ztt engines they actual had 3 blocks made so somewhere there's some tasty bit's waiting for transplant!

anyone know WHERE?

James

Return to “Engines Area”