General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Sump strainer

Post by ian.stewart »

I am at the moment making a new oil pick up pipe for the Rover as the one I have at the moment is a bit of a bodge made from 3 different pieces of pipe :shock: [not by me!!!] What I have managed to find is the pipe fron a standard 1600 Xflow sump will fit with a small amount of mods. it is all very nicely tucked up along the factory windage tray so it clears my chopped up sump, the strainer on the X flow resembles a gas mantle, the Rover one is a large flat dish, and the one I want to use is somewhat smaller in dia to the rover one, but of similar design, will the area if the strainer make any difference to the pickup, as the pipe is the restriction to how much oil the engine will get sucked up.
My opinion is the Rover has an abnormally large strainer due to the ability of the Rover to sludge up in a very short time, Discuss????

Ian :D :D

THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Looks to me like the piddly little hole in the block is going to be far more restrictive than an undersize strainer.

I think that you'll be fine (I hope!)

Regards,

Pete

badger
Getting There
Getting There

Post by badger »

My thoughts as well, especially considering the later serpentine ones are tiny in comparison to the early style.
Badger.
"Real sport has 8 spark plugs"
www.roverv8engines.co.uk

Return to “Engines Area”