General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Fed_up_Stag-owner
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Rover V8 rebuild costs?

Post by Fed_up_Stag-owner »

Hi

Well, I've found a Stag with a Rover V8 engine fitted, but the engine hasn't run for a few years. I'm going to make an offer but I'm going to allow for the price of a rebuild; so, any thoughts on a budget price for a "standard" rebuild of a standard mid-1980s Rover 3.5 engine?

Thanks

badger
Getting There
Getting There

Post by badger »

A comprehensive rebuild, assuming the bores simply need a hone and not reboring, shouldn't be any more than around £900 exchange. (if it is, you are being ripped off! That's based on what I charge)
Badger.
"Real sport has 8 spark plugs"
www.roverv8engines.co.uk

Fed_up_Stag-owner
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Fed_up_Stag-owner »

Thanks Badger, any idea of the collection and delivery charges for a Rover V8, Essex to Kinloss (and back!) ?

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

I'd be inclined to give it a good inspection, and if it needs a rebore I'd go for a rebuilt and guaranteed upgraded 3.9 or bigger from one of the major players. Not too sure what their prices are now, but they can't be much more expensive than rebuilding one yourself, with parts and machining costs.

Actually I'd buy a 350 SBC and drop that in, twice the power, half the price for performance bits, and 100,000 miles before it even things about feeling tired. :D

badger
Getting There
Getting There

Post by badger »

Paul, why pay in excess of £2k to the major players when the job can be done considerably cheaper without compromising quality?
I agree with your comments re. SBC, but a stag's back axle is extremely marginal with a rover 3.9 so I hate to think on the re-engineering required to handle SBC torque figures - although a BMW diff conversion is available for the Stag, at a cost.

Stag-owner, last engine I shipped was Wiltshire, it was £80 each way via Palletways. My engines have the same 12 month warranty as any other.
Badger.
www.roverv8engines.co.uk

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

badger wrote:Paul, why pay in excess of £2k to the major players when the job can be done considerably cheaper without compromising quality?
I agree with your comments re. SBC, but a stag's back axle is extremely marginal with a rover 3.9 so I hate to think on the re-engineering required to handle SBC torque figures - although a BMW diff conversion is available for the Stag, at a cost.

Stag-owner, last engine I shipped was Wiltshire, it was £80 each way via Palletways. My engines have the same 12 month warranty as any other.
How much would a re-bore and requisite parts add to that £900 you estimated?

I've heard some horrendous (unofficial) prices for rebores, like £50+ a cylinder, but based on that you'd still only be looking at another £400 on top of the £900, which is still a chunk of change short of £2000 I suppose.

You have a point about the rear axle on the Stag, if a SBC was fitted, and the transmission would need upgrading too, so I guess not too practical.

I have a 3.5 in my current car, but the next project, which is lurking in the garage behind the Morris as we speak, will likely have an SBC.

8-)

badger
Getting There
Getting There

Post by badger »

£150 ish for the reboring, plus pistons.

Hey, nice morris, Aberdeenshire registration number??
Badger.
www.roverv8engines.co.uk

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

If the engine has had plugs in, it may not even need a rebuild.

Take the plugs out, and see if it will turn buy hand or via socket on the crack pully.

If you want max BHP then you may want to get it rebuilt. if you just want some v8 grunt then you could just run as is.
Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

badger wrote:£150 ish for the reboring, plus pistons.

Hey, nice morris, Aberdeenshire registration number??
It's an age related plate DVLA gave me, when the previous owner sold the original number.
I think it was originally something like GAS 123 so I can see why he sold it.

Return to “Engines Area”