newbie question about the 4.0 and 4.6

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

newbie question about the 4.0 and 4.6

Post by TVRleigh »

Could somone tell me what the differance is between the 4.0 and 4.6 x-bolted engines.

I think the main differance is the crank and pistons.

Are the pistons different of just the Rods.

Thanks
Leigh

Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

russell_ram
Getting There
Getting There

Post by russell_ram »

Leigh,

Cranks are different - 4.6 obviously has longer stroke.

Rods are different - 4.0 ones are longer to make the pistons reach the top of the bores/deck because the stroke of a 4.0 is shorter.

Pistons are different but ONLY the size of the dish/bowl. The 4.0s have smaller bowl to make up the difference in CR caused by the difference in stroke. either will fit with either set of matched crank/rods and give you higher than std CR for NA performance engines or lower than std CR for blown motors. Will all need reblancing in those cases though.

Russ
Rover Powered to 11.63sec @ 128mph.

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

Thank you for the info.

One related question whare are higher compression the 4.6 or the 4.0 as I would like a bit more compression that 9.35:1

and have the option to buy some 4.6 pistons.

I need to keep the engine a 4ltr. also only need about 210-220 BHP, but it will be used in a race car.

Thanks
Leigh
Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

Antonyj

Post by Antonyj »

The 4.0 pistons have a shallower bowl than the 4.6.
Therefore they offer the higher compression ratio when fitted to a 4.6 motor.

If you have to keep at 4.0 then I would stick with 4.0 pistons.

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

If you want higher comp in a 4,0 litre engine you could fit the steel head gaskets instead of the std composite gaskets. You will gain roughly 0,6 extra points in CR. The other option is to machine the block or heads.

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

I have a 4.0 crank, rods and pistons for sale if you're interested?
V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

minorv8 wrote:If you want higher comp in a 4,0 litre engine you could fit the steel head gaskets instead of the std composite gaskets. You will gain roughly 0,6 extra points in CR. The other option is to machine the block or heads.

If standard cam is fitted then clearance maybe fine but if you have a performance/higher lift cam then will need to check the valve to piston crown clearance or use pocketed pistons.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Adam
By pocketed you do mean pistons with valve cutouts dont you?
I've just finished my 4.6 crossbolted build. She has cutouts in the pistons. I'm using comp head gaskets and a Blower cam. It has the same lift (almost) as the Typhoon cam @ 0.494" This should be ok shouldnt it?

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Yes that's what I mean. I would have thought this would be okay. I am running a 4.6 with compo gaskets, standard pistons and a piper 285 which is 0.477" lift and I have no cut-outs. Looking back at my records I found that the inlet valve to piston clearance minimum was at 6-8 ATDC was 0.080". Exhaust valve clearance was 0.116" at 16-10 BTDC.

Inlet clearance minmum allowed is 0.080"
Exhaust clearance minimum allowed is 0.100" (owing to more expansion due to hotter gases).

Oh and the other thing the cam advertised lift is not always attained. I checked one of my lobes on the cam and at best it would achieve 0.476" okay pretty close but when I checked the lift when installed and the rockers setup I found that the maximum lift dropped to 0.470"

mgbv8 wrote:Adam
By pocketed you do mean pistons with valve cutouts dont you?
I've just finished my 4.6 crossbolted build. She has cutouts in the pistons. I'm using comp head gaskets and a Blower cam. It has the same lift (almost) as the Typhoon cam @ 0.494" This should be ok shouldnt it?

Return to “Engines Area”