When To Paint??

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

engmpoll

When To Paint??

Post by engmpoll »

I'm looking at doing an engine rebuild on my old rover lump and would like to get it painted to keep it looking nice and shiny for as long as possible. Question 1, whats the best paint/coating method to use to withstand the heat cycling and to give best durability, and Question 2, whats the best stage to paint/coat it, when its broken down into its components or when its fully built?? Any opinions appreciated as usual.

Cheers

Pocket rocket
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Pocket rocket »

I painted mine when it was still broken down (into components :? ) after being degreased etc. i used VHT paint in an aerosol . Gave it a couple of coats.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Just done my block in Plasticoat, nice finnish and should be fine on the heat side. do it when the block is fully cleands and all machining is done but before you put the core plugs back in. On an ally block you will need a good etching primer (I think plasticoat do one).
Mike
poppet valves rule!

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

When I replaced the engine in my Minor with a 3.9 ( had been lying for a while and was pretty tarnished) I degreased it, then used a rotary wire brush on a drill, then went over it all with a scotchbright pad, then sprayed it using an etch primer, then a base coat (same colour as car) then lacquered it. It turned out pretty good, and is also durable. I did however spray the timing cover and sump separatly as they were off anyway, and replaced most bolts with stainless ones.
The previous engine I sprayed following a similar method (didn't disassemble), but used 2k for topcoat instead of base/clear, and it still looked fresh when I removed it after 3 years on the road.
Engines don't really get mega hot (in normal use), so you could even use gloss paint (once etched) if you wish, and it will stand up to the heat.

Pete
Image Image

Return to “Engines Area”