General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Where Can I get-----------------

Post by ian.stewart »

Where can I get Chilled iron cam mechanical followers??
I have just a a good conversation with David Newman, and he will measure and make me a new cam from the dimensions of my old rather sorry looking cam. from a new blank, at what I think is a reasonable price,
@£235 including VAT,
He has recomended using chilled iron followers with this cam, so thats what it will get, if I can find them :shock: , the possibility that my cam has worn prematurly may be down to the mismatch of materials, where the Americans tend to use hardened cams and followers Europe tend to use Chilled cast Iron, and as such he does not reccomend mixing one with the other in certain conditions,
What are the Volvo followers made from???

THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Is there anything in yankland ?

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch ... wordSearch

There was discussions on a couple of forums, and I think here too...that modern oils, and flat tappet cams.....dont seem to be good for each other.

Due to typical BS legislation on pollutants etc, oils dont contain some of the products they should ( APS/S ratings or something ), some of these additives are important to flat tappet cams.

But they did say the likes of old oils like Duckhams Q, and some modern diesel oils do contain the good stuff, and cams will last longer with these oils ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
there has been alot of discussion on this in Carcraft and Hot Rod over the last 18 months or so, the conclusion is yes modern oils do not mix well with flat tappet cams. it is put down to the adative packs in the oils. the recomendation is to use lots of assembly lube and break in the cam on mineral based deisel oils, then run on either sinthetic petrol oils with a suitable adative in the oil (not a molly one though) or a mix 50/50 of old style mineral based 20/50 and deisel of the same base and viscosity rating.
The finger has also been pointed at a change in surface treatment by some cam manufacturers but this is far from conclusive (I suspect that Prime media dont want to risk upsetting their advertisers by saying anything could be wrong with the products advertised in their articles!! 8) .
Mike
poppet valves rule!

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

Another product from summit here that you might consider Ian.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... 900X980-16

Return to “Engines Area”