Engine ID

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

need4speed
Getting There
Getting There

Engine ID

Post by need4speed »

I understand that not all 3.9 blocks will accept my 4.6 crank, even after i have my crank journals machined down to 2.3".
Could someone please tell me how i can identify what 3.9 block WILL take my crank ie what engine number etc??
Cheers.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I cant give you engine numbers but they are the blocks with round pads cast along the outside of the block to take cross bolting but they aren't drilled. you will find it easier and probably cheaper to just buy a 4.6 block as very late 3.9's that can do this is a pretty rare beast.

Unless Gav's is still for sale. If you don't want to spend £150 then forget it as these blocks like I said are rare.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Just had a thought, maybe I can give you engine numbers as I think its a normal 3.9 number but with a suffix letter. Cant do it till I get home though.

need4speed
Getting There
Getting There

Post by need4speed »

cheers marki. i appreiate the help.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I think it will be either 35, 36, 37 or 38DxxxxxxB I don't know which of the numbers it will be or it could be them all but it should definitely end in B.

need4speed
Getting There
Getting There

Post by need4speed »

thanks pal. been in touch wae gav, but some bugger off e-blag has got the block off him....oh well. i'll just have to keep an eye out, my 4.6 build is on hold until i find one coz unfortunately i dont have £500-£600 to spend on a new block... :cry:

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Why don't you get a 4.6 block and just don't machine the mains?

need4speed
Getting There
Getting There

Post by need4speed »

quite agree mate. i would love to buy a 4.6 block but like i say i havent seen one under £600 new, and second hand ones seem rarer than rocking horse shite. unless im looking in the wrong places. any ideas?

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I have seen them around enough and they are a lot more available that the interim block this thread relates to. They only made the interim block for about a year I think. Dont forget a 4.0 block is the same as well so you can get one off them too.

need4speed
Getting There
Getting There

Post by need4speed »

apart from the obvious flea-bay, and of course on here, are there any other forums i can have trawl through......?

Return to “Engines Area”