Pistons

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Pistons

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Can anyone advise on what flat top pistons with valve cut outs are available to fit the 94mm bore size.

The use would be for general use and possibly the odd track day, so cast should be ok and an indication of cost would be useful.

Kevin.

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

I've managed to pick up a set of new Ford 255CI pistons that with a little machining to the piston crowns and reaming the gudgeon pin bore can be made to fit into a 4.6 Rover with a +20 overbore
This all started in a moment of madness when I bid on a pair of alloy Buick 300 heads and as those of you who know your Rover engines, they will bolt straight on to Rover block, but have large 54cc combustion chambers larger and better port contours and a lot of potential for porting.

The standard valves are In. 43mm and Ex. 34mm so for a road engine no need to increase the inlet but a small increase in exhaust valve size within the existing seats might be beneficial together with opening up the valve throats, some mild port blending, bulleting the guides and reducing the guide mounting that projects into the port itself.

I anyone has experience of these heads I would to pleased to here any suggestions.

With the Ford pistons after machining they will be almost flat top and yield a compresson ratio of approx 9.76-1 without any machining of the head faces so quite a lot of scope to adjust the final ratio.

All I need now is a 4.6 bottom end, oh and a few other bits and pieces,a hotwire injection system etc.
Having built a nice 3.5 with approx 200BHP this does start to become addictive!

Kevin.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

sounds like a good little build. I have a near-complete reconditioned hotwire system up for grabs if you are interested, PM me! cheers

Return to “Engines Area”