Cam Gear oiling

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

TBH, I dont think the chain needs a lot of oil, My Reasoning behind this--- how much oil does a motor bike chain have sprayed on it???, and they do take some abuse.

THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Hi Ian

What would be against the T piece in the oil feed to the bottom of the dizzy as in previous post?

Thanks
Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

ian.stewart wrote:TBH, I dont think the chain needs a lot of oil, My Reasoning behind this--- how much oil does a motor bike chain have sprayed on it???, and they do take some abuse.
I guess most if not all bike chains now are o-ring sealed so all the lube really does is lubricate the chain on the sprocket. I still agree though that it shouldn't need much oil. I have been thinking about this and to be honest I cant see why this should be a problem for you when it isn't generally seen as a problem. I know your revving the engine hard but its for short periods and not like 7000rpm down a two mile straight for 30 laps. Could it be that your mental cam is giving the chain and sprockets a harder time than normal?

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

katanaman wrote:
ian.stewart wrote:TBH, I dont think the chain needs a lot of oil, My Reasoning behind this--- how much oil does a motor bike chain have sprayed on it???, and they do take some abuse.
I guess most if not all bike chains now are o-ring sealed so all the lube really does is lubricate the chain on the sprocket. I still agree though that it shouldn't need much oil. I have been thinking about this and to be honest I cant see why this should be a problem for you when it isn't generally seen as a problem. I know your revving the engine hard but its for short periods and not like 7000rpm down a two mile straight for 30 laps. Could it be that your mental cam is giving the chain and sprockets a harder time than normal?
If you saw the state of the cam sproket, its Razor sharp and dry as a bone, so somthing needs to be addressed, I am trying to choose a suitable source to pick for supplying the oil.
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

Bike chains need adjusting often even with lube and sealed joints to hold the lube in. On what is a probelm for you is it not worth directing some oil at the chain for the hell of it. It'll doo more good than harm surely and you'll have piece of mind.

Are the cam bearings ok?

Could it be the oiling problem is before the cam train seeing as the chain gets its lube from the cam bearing?

What about the woodruff key for the camshaft gear?

Is it located correctly or not and blocking the oil supply to the cam chain?

Was the camshaft gear bolt tight?
V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

badger
Getting There
Getting There

Post by badger »

And also, if it's an aftermarket cam, does it actually have the oil drilling to feed the oil from the front cam bearing to the woodruff key slot in the first place?
Badger.
"Real sport has 8 spark plugs"
www.roverv8engines.co.uk

Return to “Engines Area”