What engine to use?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

RobertE

What engine to use?

Post by RobertE »

Hey guys, sorry for the very broad question, but I have a chance to build a brand new motor for my MG-B. I had a 5 liter rover, but that engine is being picked up by the original owner and hes paying 2500 for it.

So I'll have 2500+(usd) to build a brand new engine. I'm hoping to do a forced induction setup on the engine, and I'd like to know whats the strongest engine I could build for that application and price.

I've read other articles(that I cant seem to find) that the 4.6 engine is stronger then a 5liter variant. I've also read that the 300buick heads are the best for my price range.

Any advice is much appreciated, and again sorry for such a novice question :)

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

given youre in the states, would an ls1 fit?

Bit of googling reveals:
http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?40,600191
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

RobertE

Post by RobertE »

It would fit, but I'd rather use a rover engine.

For the price I'm sure the LS1 would be cheaper for my power goals, but not nearly as fun to build/learn on. A bit more cutting would be required, the rover is a relatively easy swap into the MG-B.

I can get a used LS1 w/ transmission/ecu for 2500USD if I look hard enough.

I've been following that thread for a while, unfortunately not much information was given.

jrv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by jrv8 »

Hi
I doubt if it's possible to build a forced induction V8 of either 4.6 or 5.0 litre with a budget of £1250.00 ($2500)

regards
Jim

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

for $2500 I doubt you would get 220 bhp on a 3.9 even in the UK. a 4.6 would be out for that budget. If you get a whole LS engine and box for that budget (and I am sure you can) I would have thought it an obvious choice, alot more rewarding to tune and work on I would have tought.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

RobertE wrote:It would fit, but I'd rather use a rover engine.

For the price I'm sure the LS1 would be cheaper for my power goals, but not nearly as fun to build/learn on. A bit more cutting would be required, the rover is a relatively easy swap into the MG-B.

I can get a used LS1 w/ transmission/ecu for 2500USD if I look hard enough.

I've been following that thread for a while, unfortunately not much information was given.
I'm sure someone in the UK would swap a decent Rover for a used LS1.
Eliot Mansfield

RobertE

Post by RobertE »

The last engine that was built but had to be gotten rid of was around 1750 in parts.. the engine itself was 400.

Most 4.0/4.2's around here can be had for 300-500, of course they need to be rebuilt. I'm willing to spend more then 2500 on the engine. That price doesn't include money being spent on the blower/megasquirt unit.

Theres a junkyard around here that deals with strictly British parts, so they can be found/had easily. Theres also two rover parts dealers near by.

I understand the LS1 would be the best choice, and I've thought about it plenty. But its ridiculous how many cars have that engine over here.. Miatas,RX7's,Mustangs.. etc.. and thats just locally, people put the LS1 into everything.

The Rover is just a bit different from everything else.

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

RobertE wrote:I understand the LS1 would be the best choice, and I've thought about it plenty. But its ridiculous how many cars have that engine over here.. Miatas,RX7's,Mustangs.. etc.. and thats just locally, people put the LS1 into everything.
Here in the UK, Rovers are in everything and we are now just starting to discover the LS engine.
The Rover is just a bit different from everything else.
I think it will be a quite a long time before people say that here !!
Eliot Mansfield

RobertE

Post by RobertE »

Very true.. alot of people use the Buick/olds 215 in the MG's, but besides that the Rover isnt that popular of an engine.

I think eventually I'll try out an LS1 in the MG-B, but ill be using an after market front subframe that's 80lbs lighter then the stock one. I believe the LS1 is about 110 pounds heavier if I remember correctly.

Anyways, whats a good source for forged pistons? What heads do most of you guys use on your rovers? The 300's are probably the best choice over here, but again they're a bit rare.

Thanks, I appreciate all the replies and help.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Robert
At least you are on the right continent for sensible priced forged pistons. for forged pistons the best bet is to look for Buick V6 ones, the other choice I believe is to look for forged 327 chevy pistons, but I believe they are a non standard deck height to fit the rover, you will need to spend some time hunting through the catalogs! There are some people over here and in NZ and Australia doing forged pistons, but by you have bought them, paid postage and imported them you will have spent alot of money.
best of luck
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Engines Area”