Rebuild or not?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Rebuild or not?

Post by plastic orange »

At long last I am getting things cleaned up for my Minor project now that i have the shell and chassis off to the Blasters (second time lucky) and I have started by cleaning up the engine (Ford 351 C). The engine and box came out of a lowish mileage Mach 1 mustang, and was reportedly a good runner. It has been sitting around for a while now, but turns easily, and has good compression (turning by ratchet socket). I have removed the sump to clean it out, and it wasn't too bad, also rocker area has liitle sludge evident, and the lifter valley was quite clean too.
Question is - do I take a chance on using engine with just a new timing set (chain a bit slacker than I would like) and oil pump with new drive shaft, or go the whole way and completely rebuild it. When finished, it will only do a few thousand a year, but will get occasional outings on the strip.
I did have initial plans to go the whole way and tune it seriously, but realistically it would probably be quick enough as is (my other Minor with a 3.9 is bad enough in the wet) - car will be around 1 ton.
I do have an edelbrock inlet manifold and carb to go on it, so it would be slightly better than standard.

Cheers

Pete

Image Image

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

At the cost for a gasket set I would at least strip it and see exactly what you have. If everything is ok then all its cost is a bit of time and a few quid for gaskets. If you don't and something it wrong you have all the hassle of pulling that chunk of iron back out plus the disappointment of delays you weren't really counting on.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

I would second the above, If it is moderate milage on a 351c then a set of piston rings and bearing shells are probably all it will need anyway to have a compleetly fresh engine, maybe a quick hone to clear any glaze, but a strip and measure should let you know.
Is it on 2V or 4V heads? both are good heads but a change of inlet manifold on 4V heads should really liven it up.
Good luck
Mike
poppet valves rule!

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

You have basically confirmed what i was thinking, so I'll strip it out tomorrow. Thing is, I am going to the USA next month on holiday and thought about bringing stuff back (done this before - carb for $228 there, £280 here). Only snag is I'm going through Heathrow, and I'm not confident i would see my stuff again. My son and friend are still waiting for their bags after a week, and his girlfriend and her friend waited 4 days on their bags (all en route to Australia). Also the horror stories of baggage being auctioned off doesn't inspire confidence - could only happen in this country.

It's a 2V engine I have, so a 4 barrel and inlet should perk it up a bit - so would alloy heads, cam and high comp pistons :wink:

Pete
Image Image

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

plastic orange wrote: Only snag is I'm going through Heathrow, and I'm not confident i would see my stuff again.
Next option..... buy your stuff overthere, go to a local post office overthere and sent it directly to your home adress.......
As a private sender you dont have invoice and etc to wory about.

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

Cheers,

I'll investigate that one.

Pete
Image Image

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Pete
even the 2V heads are good heads, viewed as a cheep power upgrade on a windsor engine (though a bit of a pain to fit), a clean up, three angle valve job and slightly bigger inlet valves are meant to make them good for a lot of power.
I would use the local post for anything you can't carry on the plane yourself. if you use the regular post it is cheeper and comes in via parcel force, they can bring it to your door and pay any duty there rather than having to get it released from customs first.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

Just as well I dismantled the engine - 1 top ring broken and big end bearings down to copper, but mains seem ok. Very slight ridge at top of bores, and pistons look in good order. Timing chain slack, but cam/lifters seem ok. All valve stem oil seals are in a poor state, but valves seem fine.
I'm going to pick up an edelbrock cam kit with valve springs etc to match, new timing gear, full gasket set, and some small bits and pieces next week when in US on holiday. I'll then get crank measured and ground, block cleaned and honed and get rings/shells here when i get back.

Pete
Image Image

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

give the exhaust valve guides a good check as they are bad for wearing on the Cleveland. So much so they even make 10 thou oversized valves to reclaim them or you can get bronze sleeves or for the top job you can machine the old ones out and fit complete bronze guides.

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

I've had a change of mind, and am now pricing up an LS1 engine/box - anyone need a 351 C?

Pete
Image Image

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

If on a budget...dont forget to consider the iron block 5.3 LSx variants.....

They are cheap !!!!
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

Getting a price tomorrow hopefully, if acceptable will possibly have it within a few weeks.
I'm going to get a complete cut out with auto box, prop and ecu - anything else I would need?

Pete
Image Image

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

If its a complete cutout, you should be fairly well covered.

If retaining std exhaust manifolds, Id be inclined to reccomend a truck engine, or a 99-00 LS1.
Or just get some truck manifolds, these collect and exit quite near the back of the engine.

These will have a slightly more favourable right hand side manifold. Although depends what you are like for space down there with regards to steering.
My 01 engine when I bought it....well, that manifold was never going to work.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

I've just agreed to buy a complete cutout LS1 - 1998 with 70k on it - hope it works out ok.

Pete
Image Image

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Nice :D
that will save a bit of weight over the cleavland
going to tune it?
it'll be run in soon? :twisted:
And they look so cute with nice aftermarket valve covers and kinsler fuel injection :shock: :lol: :lol:
post some pictures when you get it
best of luck
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Engines Area”