2nd hand 9.35.1 pistons?,

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

bak2burbles

2nd hand 9.35.1 pistons?,

Post by bak2burbles »

Hi again...I'm happily still sourcing parts for my rebuild (been offered a set of used but good 9.35.1 std pistons & rods) As i've yet to strip my 8.25.1 ones out & dont know whether a rebore is necessary I had it in mind to buy new oversize pistons if it is.. My question is it ok to fit new pistons to old rods? Or if the bores are ok is there a problem with s/h pistons/rods & new rings? thanks for any info..

brbs

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: 2nd hand 9.35.1 pistons?,

Post by Paul B »

bak2burbles wrote:Hi again...I'm happily still sourcing parts for my rebuild (been offered a set of used but good 9.35.1 std pistons & rods) As i've yet to strip my 8.25.1 ones out & dont know whether a rebore is necessary I had it in mind to buy new oversize pistons if it is.. My question is it ok to fit new pistons to old rods? Or if the bores are ok is there a problem with s/h pistons/rods & new rings? thanks for any info..
I can see no reason not to fit new pistons to old rods, people do it all the time when rebuilding motors.

New rings on old pistons is normal too. Give the bores a good measure and check for a wear ridge. Give the bores a light hone too, so the new rings bed in properly.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I've fitted new pistons to my 32 year old rods with no probs.
In fact, I've melted several pistons and fried many rings this year, and still use the old rods without any trouble.
When I melt a piston or two. I fit new pistons to replace the melted ones, and then fit new rings to the old and new pistons.
Works ok for me.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

bak2burbles

old rods..

Post by bak2burbles »

thanks m8... that all i needed to know..
brbs

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I wouldn't be so happy to fit old pistons in a different engine but that's probably just me. They will be worn in differently between the two engines.

Return to “Engines Area”