LS engine and tremec 6 speed Q's

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

motherofgod

LS engine and tremec 6 speed Q's

Post by motherofgod »

Well having pondered the thought of replacing my sd1 engine and 5 speed box in my minor for a 5 litre rover, but I'm thinking more of a LS block and tremec, I would like to know if the dimensions etc would be fine ( i think it's actually shorter than my current E/B) problems with engine injection/management system, I run a weber 500 at present so no wires! I have jaguar IFS and wonder on any manifold problems. Also what block LS1,LS2 etc, LS7 is to expensive at mo. Also what is the clutch mechanism on a tremec is it similar to LT77?

Any thoughts welcome

James

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

only thing I can help you with is the T56 is huge so might have bother fitting that in the tunnel. Nothing that cant be altered mind you.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: LS engine and tremec 6 speed Q's

Post by stevieturbo »

motherofgod wrote:Well having pondered the thought of replacing my sd1 engine and 5 speed box in my minor for a 5 litre rover, but I'm thinking more of a LS block and tremec, I would like to know if the dimensions etc would be fine ( i think it's actually shorter than my current E/B) problems with engine injection/management system, I run a weber 500 at present so no wires! I have jaguar IFS and wonder on any manifold problems. Also what block LS1,LS2 etc, LS7 is to expensive at mo. Also what is the clutch mechanism on a tremec is it similar to LT77?

Any thoughts welcome

James
What block do you want ? LS1, LS6, LS2, or some of the LQ iron or smaller cc 4.8 or 5.3 versions ?

So much choice, but for the first few, it makes little odds really. They are all excellent and have same tuning potential, and same bolt on parts.

An LS is slightly wider than a RV8, slightly shorter overall ( to a degree ). Height when fuel injected is lower than a RV8, but if you throw a carb onto an LSx, it will be a fair bit taller than equivalent rover engine.

When you mention clutch mechanism....well, its hydraulic. So its the same, but of course at the box its totally different. Makes little odds. If you want it to work you just make it work. Its not that difficult.

But as already mentioned, the T56 is pretty damn big. Bigger in every respect than a LT77, but infinitely better.

www.ls1tech.com
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Return to “Engines Area”