Block bore out

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

TVRTASMIN
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Block bore out

Post by TVRTASMIN »

I'm considering having a spare 3.5 block bored out.
The pistons have an 'M' stamped on them which i assume is an oversize.

What would the max rebore be on the 3.5 and roughly what that might cost, plus what roughly would the work cost to bore out to 3.9 (not to includeprice of pistons)

Ta in advance :)

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

+20 thou is generally what you can get pistons for.

You cant bore out a 3.5 to a 3.9, you have to replace the liners and you might as well go for top hat liners. This is in the region of £800-£1000 and its not every machine shop that can do it. Just so you know most people wont advise doing this as potentially it can leave a weak block. That said both my engine and Ian Stewart's engine is done this way. To be honest though these days it probably makes more sense to just get a 3.9 block. Specially when there is a good one in the for sale section for a lot less than getting all the work done.

TVRTASMIN
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by TVRTASMIN »

I'll check that out thanks!

Wotland
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Wotland »

Hello,

After to have an discussion with J. Eales, He confirmed to me that Rover 3.5 can be rebored to +0.040'' without problem. Of course J. Eales sells forged 90mm piston (680GBP + VAT).

I think genuine rover 3.5 +0.040'' pistons are no more aviaible.

But there is another cheap alternative, you can always buy Buick 215 +0.040 in USA. Try Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-Po ... enameZWD2V

Return to “Engines Area”