Oil cooler - correct connection

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

hoss

Oil cooler - correct connection

Post by hoss »

Could someone just clear up a worry that i have....

I have recently fitted the (flotec) remote filter kit & a mocal oil cooler to my rover V8.
I assumed that it didnt matter too much which order to connect. So it's all in series. But i saw a post somewhere where someone said they had killed their motor by connecting the cooler backwards!

Can anyone give me a definitive answer?

Pocket rocket
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Pocket rocket »

Providing the flow through the filter hasn't changed, I can't see that it can make any difference unless you have a thermostatically controlled valve in your system. The oil cooler is just a radiator matrix at the end of the day.

I stand by to be corrected :D

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Cooler doesn't matter. The remote filter head does matter as there may be a one-way valve in the oil filter.

I trashed my engine by getting the filter head back to front...

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

hoss

Post by hoss »

I have just come back to look at this problem after some months.

Does anyone have a definitive answer - Which port on the flotec base is the output?

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

You are best to get a pump priming tool anyway, to prime the oil pump. To check which the oil comes out of, take the dizzy off, and spin the oil pump clockwise with an electric drill, and which ever hole the oil comes out of is the outlet.

You can make a tool by squashing the end of a piece of pipe, and welding a bolt on the other end to fit in the drill.

seight
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by seight »

email RPI - they sell them and will send you a diagram or a link which has all the details.
I think 'out' (out of pump) if to the front of the engine, but best check with them.
Mike

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I have a diagram at home in my MGB V8 book - but yes I think the outlet is at the front. Will check later.

hoss

Post by hoss »

Thanks guys - yes output is at the front. I tested in the end by turning over the engine (didnt loose too much oil :D )

Return to “Engines Area”