How to make a V8 sound good?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Grumpy75

How to make a V8 sound good?

Post by Grumpy75 »

Hello everyone. I am looking at building a car with a V8 & need to know what I am letting myself in for. I have listened to thousands of V8's in drag cars and street rods.

I know how to get the power out of a motor but not how to get the sound that I want - and that matters, really really matters.

We all know that all V8's sound wonderful but some sound better than others. I know that size matters, I know that the lumpy sound comes from the camshaft but what is it that makes some V8's snarl when the throttle is blipped - generally competition motors - whilst others are soft/ woofly sounding even though not actually any quieter.

I am not naive enough to think that the total answer is one thing but where does that V8 snarl come from? Where do I concentrate my sound search efforts?

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

hi
the biggest influence on the sound you are after is when the exhaust valve is opened, open it earlier and you get a sharper sound, open it later you get a softer sound. you get the "lumpy" tick over from a narrower lobe separation angle for a given cam duration giving more overlap (time when inlet and exhaust valves are open together. This is used by comp cams in their thumper range by a few other manufacturers, the basic combination for a given duration is to make the exhaust timing about 12 to 14 degrees more than the inlet, use an LSA of about 106 to 108 degrees and time it about 2 degrees advanced.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Grumpy75

Post by Grumpy75 »

Thank you for that. I must now decide on a camshaft that works but doesn't destroy what little mpg I would otherwise get.

PS Is it just me or is this site so slow as to almost unusable. I am on Fibre Broadband & it is taking several minutes to load each page. I haven't replied for several days because I thought that there must be a problem. Windows 10 & Edge browser.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Grumpy75 wrote:PS Is it just me or is this site so slow as to almost unusable. I am on Fibre Broadband & it is taking several minutes to load each page. I haven't replied for several days because I thought that there must be a problem. Windows 10 & Edge browser.
Dead slow on my side, too. I thought it was the Nigerian rainy season messing the network up, but apparently it's not just me.
Windoze XP, Firefox.
Cheers,
John

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

issues in the USA server,
have been trying to get it sorted since Thursday,
sorry its slow but at least its still online unlike previous times
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Mike knows his stuff, but I believe he sound comes down to getting everything right and in balance, so you get induction, engine and exhaust noise in harmony.
In a normal V8 the exhaust pulses ate not even side to side so the exhaist note is, in my opinion not nice.

Now correct the exhaust note by combining the correct pipes and you get something that sounds exotic

This is near perfection to my ears

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

A V8 sounds better with a balance pipe.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

There are a ton of factors.

I would listen out for something you like the sounds of, then copy it, at least copying:
- Engine make / size / fuelling / ignition.
- Exhaust manifolds
- Exhaust pipe size / configuration / length / silencers.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

The replies you have already got are all sound advice pun intended however if you want a real nasty sound on the odd occasion then put some electronic cut outs in your exhaust system and open them as and when you want .
I speak from knowledge of having some in my system and it never fails to put a schoolboy grin on my face.

Cheers
P

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

I want this sound 8)

From a small block Ford if that's possible !
302 V8 Sierra 5 door sleeper under way

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Coops wrote:issues in the USA server,
have been trying to get it sorted since Thursday,
sorry its slow but at least its still online unlike previous times
Cheers, Coop! It's much better this morning.
Cheers,
John

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

gelmonkey wrote:The replies you have already got are all sound advice pun intended however if you want a real nasty sound on the odd occasion then put some electronic cut outs in your exhaust system and open them as and when you want .
I speak from knowledge of having some in my system and it never fails to put a schoolboy grin on my face.

Cheers
P
Interesting. I have a Rimmer SS sports system on my SD1 which sounds very good - but is too loud at cruise on a motorway. Gets a bit wearing. Would be nice to throw a switch or whatever to make it quieter. I'd guest a restricter valve of some sort would help? Who sells such things?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Mark wrote:I want this sound 8)

Hi Mark
that may be tricky on a SBF as the sound used on that track comes from a blown hemi on methanol and open pipes, you could change around the firing order, sort out the exhaust and methanol is only 49p a litre if you buy it 2 barrels at a time but it may be a bit of a handful in tescos car-park :D
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

kiwicar wrote:
Mark wrote:I want this sound 8)

Hi Mark
that may be tricky on a SBF as the sound used on that track comes from a blown hemi on methanol and open pipes, you could change around the firing order, sort out the exhaust and methanol is only 49p a litre if you buy it 2 barrels at a time but it may be a bit of a handful in tescos car-park :D
best regards
Mike
Damn !

Never mind, was the actual car a blown hemi or was it dubbed ?
302 V8 Sierra 5 door sleeper under way

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi MarK
no from what I remember it was a nearly stock SBF! I know the engine sound was dubbed onto the video. I saw the car arrive slung under a helicopter at Donnington park when they toured when Eliminator was out.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Engines Area”