Machine shop in Glos / Bristol area? And cam advice pls.

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Captainbeaky

Machine shop in Glos / Bristol area? And cam advice pls.

Post by Captainbeaky »

Hi all,

I'm going to be rebuilding my ex-RRC 4.6 rover stage 3 v8 top hat to put in my defender 90.

I will be stripping down and refreshing this engine, because the 90 is a Gems, and my 4.6 is a Hotwire, so I'll have a few things to sort out, but the engine has no issues, and has only done 40k miles since rebuild, so I'm not expecting any bad news, but then again, it is a Lund engine, so who knows what I'll find!

I'll keep comments going when I start the tear down, and will doubtless be asking loads of questions - it's my first v8 rebuild by myself - lots of learning to do.

I'm looking for an engine machine shop / engine builder with rover v8 experience in Gloucestershire or Bristol areas for any machining I need doing.

Any recommendations out there?

Also... I've currently got an LE2 cam fitted and while it goes like a banshee at higher revs, pulling hard to the redline, the low down torque could be a bit better, as could the idle quality - it's mated to an auto transmission, and is about as hot a cam as you would ever want in an auto install - there is only just enough slip in the torque converter to get the engine on-cam when booting it from standstill.

But, I'll be fitting a stronger 4hp24 trans to the 90, which will have a "stiffer" torque converter, so this might drop the engine out of it's torque range when pulling away from standstill.

I'm not sure yet if the old LE2 cam will be suitable for re- use, or worn out - we will see when I tear it down.

If it is - how much effect would Rhoads lifters have on this fairly hot camshaft?
What is the general feeling with Rhoads lifters? Any good?

If the cam is shot, I am open to suggestions for a hot cam that will not dent the low down torque too badly.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.[/i]

badger
Getting There
Getting There

Post by badger »

Thankfully, Lund has vanished off the face of the earth as he owes so many people so much money!!! That name is a bit of a swear-word around certain internet forums....
Anyway, cams. The LE2 cam is basically a Crane H218 with the inlet advanced a degree - it is only at the top-end of the "Mild Road" profiles really. The timing figures for your info...
IO - 27 btdc
IC - 71 atdc
EO - 74 bbdc
EC - 30 atdc
Lift figures are Inlet - 0.447" / Exh - 0.462"

The Kent H180 is another cam suited to autos as well, with figures of
0.44" lift, both In and Ex.

It is slightly milder than the Crane H218 / LE2, which may suit your requirements a bit more, although in practice I have never seen any difference in stall rpm's between a 4HP22 and a 4HP24, they are meant to be about the same. The main difference is a far stronger "A" clutch unit (main forward drive clutch) and a larger oil pump, making the 24 tranny 18mm longer than the 22.
Badger.
"Real sport has 8 spark plugs"
www.roverv8engines.co.uk

badger
Getting There
Getting There

Post by badger »

Sorry, meant to add, I wouldn't use Rhodes lifters with that cam, I don't think it's a wild enough profile to merit them...
Badger.
"Real sport has 8 spark plugs"
www.roverv8engines.co.uk

Captainbeaky

Post by Captainbeaky »

Badger,

Thanks for that.
I agree Lund wasn't brilliant - I reckon I was lucky.

Thanks for the cam grind info - very useful - helps me a lot.

The 4hp24 is available with three torque converters, the largest of which has a slightly lower stall speed.
I'm nervous, because I only just get away with it at the moment, and wouldn't want to make it worse.

I'm going to think hard about what I want. The rangie is great when I wind it up, but low revs torque is a bit lacking, so a milder cam might be just the thing in a 90...,

I'll forget the Rhodes lifters then ...

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Have you checked the fuelling at the lower revs you're complaining about? Like with a wideband O2 sensor?

It could be running too weak at part throttle and low revs - and of course if you floor it, an auto will change down.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Captainbeaky

Post by Captainbeaky »

Yes, checked the fuelling, and it's ok.
I have a gas analyser that I can use on the trot.

When we specified this engine, this was always going to be a concern.
I drove an identical spec car, and mines about the same.

Captainbeaky

Post by Captainbeaky »

Mmmm looking at the specs, it would seem that the cam should produce more power low down...

I've got big valve heads and ported manifolds, but at a 60mph cruise, at 2000 rpm, it doesn't really pull so well - never has - it really only starts to seriously pull at 2600 upward - coming alive at 80 ish in top gear.

Ah well, I've got to dismantle more or less the whole engine to change over from Hotwire RRC setup to defender 90 GEMS ( front cover and sump have to come off at the very least ),so I'll check on the bottom end and the camshaft, so I'll see what I've got when I get there. Will look at the cam specs too.

Captainbeaky

Post by Captainbeaky »

Badger,

Just noticed you have some racing experience with the 4hp22.

Is it worth upgrading for the 4hp24 from my 4hp22?

Return to “Engines Area”