Cam Suggestions

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

punter

Cam Suggestions

Post by punter »

I've got a 3.5L V8 from my D110, that I'm rebuilding...

Engine is out, stripped down, and at the machine shop.

I'm going to start ordering my parts for the rebuild and I'd like to know if any of you, that own this same motor, have installed an aftermarket cam in yours. If so, what did you use and how were the results?

I've got to replace my Cam and Lifters/Tappets anyway, so I'd like to see if I can get a little more ouf of the engine while I'm at it. Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Punter

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

We where happy with the Sports Torque H180 from kent cams. With the Edelbrock Performer intake it easely revt till 6000 rpm and had loads of torque from low down.
We then changed it for a Viper Hurricane and in our opinion this was a mistake. We inmidiatly experianced a great loss of torque from low down.

But I have to say, choosing a cam depents on what you want to do with your car/engine and in witch rev range you want it to do.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Punter,

I wouldn't put a revvy cam in a D110, as a heavy Land Rover really needs torque more than top-end. How often do you rev it past 4500? Something like an RPi/Piper "Torque Max" might be good for your truck, or stick with the factory spec.

I'm running a Piper 270/110i in my Range Rover and am happy with it, but then I've got 4.9 litres too. I went with the JP duplex timing gear, new lifters and a shim kit as well.

Cheers,
Rich
VEMS New Zealand Limited
Versatile Engine Management Systems : World Class Technology. Global Support.
For UK sales, visit VEMS UK

racer

Re: Cam Suggestions

Post by racer »

I've got to replace my Cam and Lifters/Tappets anyway, so I'd like to see if I can get a little more ouf of the engine while I'm at it. Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Punter[/quote]

I have seen this question many times. The best response is to ask you what your favorite roads, rpm range and driving style is along with the type of heads/valve springs you have. This will allow for a better fit for you, the vehicle and the cam.

Someone else's choice of driving might not suit you at all.

racer

Return to “Engines Area”