General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

opinions on this comp cams grind

Post by Jono FD3 »

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam- ... d=154&sb=2
What you guys think of this cam??? I've got to get a replacement so might aswell get something interesting!! Going to be in a 350 Chevy that's been taken out +30 so works out about 5.8 litre ish, heads are the old cast camel hump hears which have been mildly ported, forged pistons and 4 bolt mains running about 11:1 CR

Jono

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
It should be a lively combination, probably about right with the heads and for its use. I have a 252 263 mechanical roller in my drag engine with similar lift (.688") but 383 ci, I recon it will give a similar curve up to about 5500 revs as mine. I have bigger heads, a sheet metal manifold and mechanical fuel injection on a bug catcher it picks up with no real fuss and pulls like a thing that pulls very hard I think it should make a fun engine.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

That's what I like to heart Mike.... The lad is selling bits to recoup some money as the bottom end let go or something.... So he is selling an electric waterpump and a cam with lifters that has done about 15hrs, so basically they are all run in but no real use!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
sounds perfect, I must confess I was wondering how your going to get roller lifters on a tight budget, a very good investment they will probably be worth a good 30 bhp over a flat tappet cam with those heads and in the long run they will save you money if you need a hotter cam in the future as you won't need new tappets with a new cam.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

cammmy
Getting There
Getting There

Post by cammmy »

Jono FD3 wrote:The lad is selling bits to recoup some money as the bottom end let go or something....
If the bottom end went, is there a risk metal fragments will have been pumped around and made their way to the cam?

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

Very nice looming cam, what's the application and intake, 11:1 would keep the DC up- if it's a heavy vehicle then it may be a bit choppy for street use with a plenum manifold? Just a thought
Spent so much on trial and error!

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

My bad, it was the gearbox that went not the bottom end!!
The engine is going in to a rift truck and is only used on track and weighs in at about 1400kg. Going to be running custom tubular headers, holley 600com double plumper, and not sure on the inlet as yet as I'm still to get one!!
But I should be able to get the cam and lifters for about 240 -250 delivered... How's that sound price wise??
Also another one.... I've seen different size lifters for sale on the bay, is that going to be for old cast blocks, then the lt1 variant and the later one's or are there different sizes you can get for the early blocks? Just want to check as I don't want to lash out the money to find it won't fit my block!

Jono

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

Hi guys, sorry to be pestering all the time!
I've missed out on the cam above as the guy wanted $200 to ship it to the UK which I thought was taking the P a little! But I've just bought some parts of a chevy man and he has got a full retro fit roller cam with uprated push rods, and roller lifters, but not sure if the cam would be a little weak or not?? apparently he pushed 320bhp/lbf from a 383ci block on a dyno day with the engine running like a bag of spanners (does this sound about right?) anyway the cam is tis one: http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam- ... d=304&sb=2

Cheers
Jono

Return to “Engines Area”