General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

sowat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Low oil pressure on rebuilt engine

Post by sowat »

Started to run the cam in on my 3.9 v8 rebuild
When it's up to temp, running 2000 rpm, oil pressure reads around 25psi, we let it idle and pressure drops to virtualy nothing, but the oil light didn't come on.

No horrible noise from the engine, but I should have more oil pressure, surely

Where to start looking ?

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Check that the gauge is accurate and then let it hot idle with the rocker covers off. You may want to place some rags to catch oil splashes.

At idle the rocker gear should just be slowly seeping oil out and not filling the recesses in the heads. If its gushing at idle then the rocker gear is badly worn.

Worn rocker gear is often the cause of low oil pressure.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

So is running the incorrect oil.

Non serpent unit is20w50

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

sowat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by sowat »

Thanks guys

Everthing inside the engine is new, except oil pump gears ( just remembered), con rods and reground crank

Oil is Lucas 20/50

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Check gauge is correct, then relief plunger and spring.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

If the above advice doesn't cure the problem then as you haven't checked the pump, strip it and check the gears for wear and the base plate for scoring.

New gears are readily available from Real Steel or others and you can have the base plate resurfaced.

Don't be tempted to use high pressure kits as this puts a lot of stress and wear on the distributor gear which is driven of the cam.

Kevin.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

CastleMGBV8 wrote:If the above advice doesn't cure the problem then as you haven't checked the pump, strip it and check the gears for wear and the base plate for scoring.

New gears are readily available from Real Steel or others and you can have the base plate resurfaced.

Don't be tempted to use high pressure kits as this puts a lot of stress and wear on the distributor gear which is driven of the cam.

Kevin.

I agree with Kev on the high pressure oil pump kit. My car is track only so it only runs 1/4 miles. The HP pump kit on mine cost me 3 dissy cogs in one year ??

Not to mention the crappy 1/4 mile times as it knocked my ign timing out so far that it wouldnt even idle.

Maybe the HP pump kit would be ok with thinner oils. I use 20/50.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

sowat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by sowat »

Oil pump/gears looks favorite then as it hasen't been changed.

How does scoring of the base plate affect the pump ?

As I have a remote filter the base plate is the take off plate, should I get that resurfaced or get a new one ?

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Scoring and wear on the base plate increases the tolerances in the pump and reduces efficiency.

Is the remote filter plate reasonably new? in which case it should be ok but scoring would be easily visible.

Kevin.

sowat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by sowat »

Just been looking on the internet to order new oil pump gears, came across a problem.

I'm running my old P6 front chest and remote filter from my old 3.5 engine, now I find there are different length gears, and ends(dizzy drive)

The gear dizzy drive I have is male, fits straight into my new 3.9 dizzy, happy days I thought, now I've found that I may need shorter female dizzy drive gear for the P6 chest.

If the previous engine ran these longer gears in a P6 chest would that account for the base plate scoring ? There seems to be around a 4 mm differance fron what I have read today.

Would it be a good idea to run shorter gears ? Then I would need to change the drive on the dizzy, is ths straight forward to do ?

sowat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by sowat »

May have confused myself here :oops:

May have a SD1 chest and P6 water pump, chest stamped ERC 0036

In which case new SD1 gears should be o.k ?

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

sowat wrote:May have confused myself here :oops:

May have a SD1 chest and P6 water pump, chest stamped ERC 0036

In which case new SD1 gears should be o.k ?
If your cover has not been modified, you can recognise the SD1 type chest by the rubber oil seal at the crank. The earlier chests had a felt/rope oil seal. Also earlier covers had a hole for the mechanical fuel pump.

Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

sarge

oil pressure

Post by sarge »

Hi did you solve the problem because i have same trouble

Return to “Engines Area”