4.6 with sd1 front cover

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Cobra

4.6 with sd1 front cover

Post by Cobra »

Lads,

Can anybody who has carried out the sd1 front cover on a 4.6 give me some advice. I am after a fast road cam nothing stupid and without having to pocket the pistons and change valve springs any suggestions? Did you get your cam machined to accept the cam retaining plate? I intend to use the sd1 sump and pick up pipe any problems there I know the block has the old position for the sd1 pick up but does the crank clear the sump. The crank pulley needs a spacer who is best to get this from. Any suggestions and tips greatly appreciated Cheers.

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

I have used Real Steel Typhoon and Tornado cams in a 4.6. The cams were not machined for the retaining plate.

I did cut pockets into the pistons because my setup required that (block machined to bring the pistons at deck height, steel head gaskets. Other have not needed them.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

If you are using a distributor, you don't need the cam retaining plate.

I got my spacer from RPi.

I might even still have it - I can have a look over the weekend.

But any machine shop or bloke with a lathe can make you one. They're pretty straightforward.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Many thanks for the replies, I suppose the cam without the retaining plate will just resort back to sd1 where any thrusting hits the button on the sd1 cover.I just wondered if it was a modification carried out to prevent wear.Any one used a Kent h218 cam from Rimmer brothers I am after a straight swap cam for the minute. Chris did you have to modify your sump in any way. Cheers.

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

I have a spare cam retainer if you need it,just cover the postage,
Sumps a straight fit,Cant help with the cam,but my advice will be,to check for clearance for what ever cam you use,especially the overlap !

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Many thanks for the offer of the cam retaining plate I have sent you a PM, cheers.

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

Cobra wrote:Many thanks for the offer of the cam retaining plate I have sent you a PM, cheers.
Send it again,nothing received here !

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

I'm using a Crane 218 in my 4.6, no cam retaining plate fitted with SD1 front cover, just a Kenne Belle button set up on the end of the cam.

BISH V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Cam plate

Post by BISH V8 »

If any one else has a cam plate available for sale give us a pm, I don't use one on my front cover but will be changing to the crank oil pump front cover so will be looking for a cam plate..

Bish
Current project
1972 mgb v8 4.6 roadster

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

I run a 4.6 with and SD1 front cover. I do run a retainer plate, I don't like the idea of just using the thrust created by the dizzy to control the end float of the cam. I also run a vernier timing gear setup, this did cause some clearance issues between the retainer plate bolts and the cam gear, I resolved this by thining down the retainer plate bolt heads.

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

sidecar wrote:I run a 4.6 with and SD1 front cover. I do run a retainer plate, I don't like the idea of just using the thrust created by the dizzy to control the end float of the cam. I also run a vernier timing gear setup, this did cause some clearance issues between the retainer plate bolts and the cam gear, I resolved this by thining down the retainer plate bolt heads.
I think thats why TVR left them off on the later blocks(int serp and full serp) 8) they fowl the bolts with the Kent Cams adj duplex vernier but the current KC's version clears without modding the bolts appears they changed the design, I replaced like for like (early to late and plate) I also run a thrust/retainer plate 8-) which the block was drilled for but not fitted this is how they came from TVR :?
Last edited by SimpleSimon on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

russell_ram
Getting There
Getting There

Post by russell_ram »

sidecar wrote: don't like the idea of just using the thrust created by the oil pump to control the end float of the cam.
Corrected that for you. Don't disagree with your sentiment though.
Rover Powered to 11.63sec @ 128mph.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

russell_ram wrote:
sidecar wrote: don't like the idea of just using the thrust created by the oil pump to control the end float of the cam.
Corrected that for you. Don't disagree with your sentiment though.
Fair enough! :wink:

ewokracing

Post by ewokracing »

Q: want to build a 4.6 to put in a p6b, so obviously I need an SD1-ish front cover as well so that I can run a distributor.

Is there a good source where I can read up on what bits I need? ie retaining plates etc, what's all that about?
1976 Rover p6b.

current: stock with K&N filters
future: some sort of thundering V8 with a supra box.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Why not do the whole engine, including the Efi? That way, you have the coil packs and ECU etc, meaning you have some wiring ( OK, a lot of wiring) changes to make, but you will end up with a very nice set-up.

There is a thread about your question, either here or on the Rover Forum, and, there are a few that have done the Efi engine transplant, too.
Cheers,
John

Return to “Engines Area”