How to make a V8 sound good?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

DaveEFI wrote:
gelmonkey wrote:The replies you have already got are all sound advice pun intended however if you want a real nasty sound on the odd occasion then put some electronic cut outs in your exhaust system and open them as and when you want .
I speak from knowledge of having some in my system and it never fails to put a schoolboy grin on my face.

Cheers
P
Interesting. I have a Rimmer SS sports system on my SD1 which sounds very good - but is too loud at cruise on a motorway. Gets a bit wearing. Would be nice to throw a switch or whatever to make it quieter. I'd guest a restricter valve of some sort would help? Who sells such things?
Dave the bits of kit I use come from Summit Racing and are DMH units however they do sell different units (several in fact) for not huge money considering the exchange rate.
That all being said though my exhaust sounds totally savage when hoofed but really quite quiet when on the mototrway.
I pull 2600rpm for 70mph and its almost as quiet as a church mouse's fart!
However having said that though the exhaust sound will always differ from one car to another and I think that SS systems always sound a little crisper to a mild steel system.
I run large silencers right at the back of my car with the cut outs in front of the rear axle.
To make nasty I flick a momentary switch on the dash and 1 second later the dogs of war are unleashed.
Enormous fun when blasting through tunnels or the Saxo gang start revving up next to you at the lights hee hee

As for running a restrictor that can only rob you of power but what you could do is run a smaller diameter pipe into your silencers and then increase size as you come out the other side.
An awful lot of time it is harmonic resonance that causes the drone and yes it can be very tiresome
Had it for years on a 2 1/2 inch system and it was a royal pain in the bum on a long journey.

P

Pitschi
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Pitschi »

Johnny Rotton

Post by Johnny Rotton »

Devonrod wrote:A V8 sounds better with a balance pipe.
Have Westfield Seight with twin side exhausts and sounds like 2 4 cylinder engines. Running a balance pipe from one side of the car to the other could be done I guess. Has anyone done it and did it improve the exhaust note ?
Ground clearance is the issue with running the exhaust to the back of the car, otherwise I would do this.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Mark wrote:I want this sound 8)

From a small block Ford if that's possible !
I doubt that sound came from that car :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

These are back from 2007 when I fitted my new exhaust system to the stock 3500 in the MGB.

This was a stock 3500 motor with a Real Steel Hurricane Cam and blockhugger manifolds. I also had a weber 500 conversion fitted. I fitted a single pipe to each side as I threw out the cross pipe. I fitted a pair of real steel turbo mufflers. These are flat oval mufflers that fit under the car ok. I ran the pipes out under the sill each side just in front of the rear wheels. Sounded ok to me back then ?

And they sound like this with Zoomies fitted :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

Must admit - I have fallen in love with the "snort" and growl of my 383 on individual throttle bodies!! My old rover sounded so blunt compared to it:-)
Spent so much on trial and error!

koopsterman
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by koopsterman »

Back in the day.... the Eliminator coupe must have been doing a tour of some Ford dealerships as it was advertised in our local paper at the time so I went along to Perrys in Southend on sea and not only got to see the car up close and personal but a kind salesman who saw my obvious interest in the car opened it up and let me sit in it !! - furthermore he even started it up for a brief moment (it was inside remember), and I can safely say it did not sound like the car in the video and the engine appeared to be a regular small block.
koopsterman

Return to “Engines Area”