Engine Vitals Senders!

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Engine Vitals Senders!

Post by topcatcustom »

I have an offy 360 manifold, no temp sensor fitted currently but I need to get one so can someone tell me which it needs? I think I will also fit a new oil pressure sender for peace of mind, interim cover- is there a specific part number?

TC

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

If it's a smiths gauge, no idea about oil pressre one's tho :(
http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... intermotor
So thats where it went !

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Intermotor part number 52730

Thankyou! I forgot about the 10v stuff though! I have some smiths gauges and just got to buy a new water temp and oil pressure- do I run a voltage dropper over all the gauges? The ones I have are classic stag ones I think.
TC

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

err

Post by JSF55 »

I think it was the fuel tank gauge that was also fed from it, depends on what your running for them ?
So thats where it went !

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

topcatproduction wrote:Intermotor part number 52730

Thankyou! I forgot about the 10v stuff though! I have some smiths gauges and just got to buy a new water temp and oil pressure- do I run a voltage dropper over all the gauges? The ones I have are classic stag ones I think.
If the gauges are hot wire types, they usually have a voltage regulator. You can tell by rotating the gauge quickly in the hand - the needle won't move with a hot wire type but will with moving coil or moving iron. Most fairly recent ones are hot wire.
You might consider making up some adjustable voltage regs - they only need a few cheap components. With one per gauge you could adjust that gauge to read correctly at the 'important' part.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Another quick question- as they are about the same price- what is more reliable- electrical or mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauges?
TC

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

I'd say mechanical - better gauge sweep
But you'll need to run capillaries

Electornic is heaper
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Tom
Generally a mechanical oil pressure gauge is viewed as more reliable (accurate) but have the worry that if they fail you risk loosing your oil and the gauge and sender are a matched pair. An electrical water or oil temperature gauge is commonly thought to be better. However in both cases an electrical wersion offers more scope for a calibration circute to increase accuracy, rather than relying on the factory 7 second go/no-go test!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Cheers guys, due to neatness I am using the standard mx5 oil pressure gauge which DOES have a scale on it, however the water temp gauge doesn't- so I have installed a smiths water temp gauge and got a new sender, part no. 52730 which is standard on all old triumphs, rovers etc of the day I think.

Does anyone know the size of the threaded hole in the offenhauser manifold? I haven't tried it yet but the sender looks too small so will maybe need an adapter...
TC

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Sender fits fine- I need to know though- do I have to use a voltage dropper with the smiths water temp gauge and how does it wire in to the sender (1 pin)?
TC

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

The water temp gauge is the same as this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Classic-Smiths-2- ... 3efe15c778

The needle does move as you rotate the gauge so not dampened, 12v or 10v?????
TC

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Pretty sure thats a 10v one, get one of the electronic voltage regulators off ebay i'm not sure if the wiring matters? is it not marked on the back B + S 1 wire direct too sender is all you need :)
So thats where it went !

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

After getting a 10v stabiliser I found that the Smiths gauge just wasn't accurate, so I bought a new durite gauge and sender, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DURITE-WATER-TEMP ... 335bfe3697

Do you think I should get something like this to stabilise the voltage to 12v or will it be ok on the car at alternator output voltage which is about 14.5v?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5V-9V-12V-24V-Vol ... 27b0db607f
TC

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

It should be fine as it comes, we run these on our forklifts with no problem other than being the 24v ones
So thats where it went !

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

As long as both sender and gauge have good connections to earth and referance volts (supply) it doesn't actually matter what the referance is as they track each other.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”